3-way suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay, here's the deal:

I'm still in the thinking-about-it stage(due to being a poor student) but I am thinking about building an entire system. I have already built a headphone amp. I have decided on 2 solid-state 200w per side stereo amps. I will use one to power a pair of subs, which will probably be 1 sealed 12" Shiva MkIII. I have not decided on main speakers yet.

- I want the MOST ACCURATE speakers possible.
- I think probably 3-ways
- approx. $1000-1250can ($650-$800usd) for all 6 drivers
- size is not a concern

Thanks for any suggestions!!! :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
seangoesbonk said:
NOBODY has any ideas?

i'm thinking 8", 3" and 1" for the 3-ways.
what brand drivers do you think I should use?
If ANYone has ANY advice it would be much appreciated...

If you are going to do a sub, why not a stereo pair? You can use the Shiva up to 100 or 125 Hz, then above that a really good 2 way. perhaps a bipole based on the outstanding Vifa P13. If you really want to blow that entire budget, you could also consider Jordan JX93s crossed to a tweeter. Or JX150s.

You might also consider taking some of that buget and build a nice little tweeter amp & an active XO.

But given all that, my main system is 3-way -- 2x8" Peerless up to 125 Hz (active), 4 x 4" (in a bipole) from 125 run wide open at the top, and a 1/2" tweeter cap XOed at about 10kHz. I am going to be adding a sub -- but for home theatre use only, which will be push-push Stryke/Lambda SAE 1024s in a TL.

dave

planet10 said:
If you are going to do a sub, why not a stereo pair? You can use the Shiva up to 100 or 125 Hz, then above that a really good 2 way.

I re-read my original post and it's not to clear...

I meant I will have 2 subs(a stereo pair) with one shiva in each.
Then above that I want to put a 3-way.

Thanks for the driver suggestions. :)

[edit]
p.s. The $650-$800usd budget is for the 3-ways only.

This is the real problem, is it better to spend more money each on less drivers or less money each for more drivers. That one is up to you, both have there pro's and con's and im sure there are many threads on just this topic. A simple 2 way can yeild very good results and it has a simpler X-O.

For accuracy (i take that as meaning almost studio moniter styles), ive seen alot of SEAS EXCEL drivers matched with a ribbon in an MTM config, 3-way and 2-way. The only problem is the difficulty associated with the SEAS, last time i checked there was a nasty little peak at around 1.8kHz and another somewhere down the track, you can simply cross it below here, but, what a waste. If you are lucky, you can pick up the SEAS EXCEL's, maybe the 17's, for about $110USD each.

http://www.madisound.com/seas.html has the W17EX 002 for $110USD, what a guess!

griff said:
This is the real problem, is it better to spend more money each on less drivers or less money each for more drivers. That one is up to you, both have there pro's and con's and im sure there are many threads on just this topic. A simple 2 way can yeild very good results and it has a simpler X-O.
I am in EE school right now so building a 3-way crossover doesn't frighten me at all. As for 2 drivers or 3, I have quite a high budget so I figured I should make good use of it, and go with the 3-way.

I am going to be using this system almost exclusively for music, so I don't need tonnes of bass extension. I will be using 12" subs. What driver sizes would be appropriate in a 3-way? Approximate crossover frequencies? Also, I am thinking about using a sealed enclosure. I will be using 200wrms per side(into 8ohms) amps, so I don't need a great deal of efficiency.

I am leaning towards vifa, seas, focal or audax...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far...

The ultimate active 3 way is the Phoenix. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/
I cannot afford the whole lot at the moment so I have built 1 of the subs using 2 Peerless XLS 12.
Main speakers are the TLB www.t-linespeakers.org

AMPS are easy. there is only 1 to look at, the AKSA. Very well supported by the designer and fantactic sound. www.printedelectronics.com

Also have a look at http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=42&140
This is the main site for the AKSA and any building problems you may have.

You can use the active crossover boards from the Phoenix, be also has others there, or have a look at Elliot Sound Products
http://sound.westhost.com/ he has lots of PCB's for all kinds of equipment, including active boards.

Happy building and listening

Once you start you cannot stop.

Oz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.