3 way scan speak / peerless vented

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anyone can give me a tip here and there on my next project being a three way vented system with passive crossovers.

The drivers of choice are scan speak 2405- 9900 as tweter a 18w 3545 for the mids and a peerless XLS 12 inch for the lows. As I have not yet settled on the cabinet design nor on the crossover topology can anyone offer some worthwhile suggestions?

The goal here is to have a high end speaker without any need for any subwoofer.

Has anyone had similar experience with such a combination?

What is a 3545? I cannot see it on the scan website.

Anyway ill say what I say to everyone. If you have measuring equipment you will get a kick *** speaker, if you dont its half a waste of those nice drivers, which are going to cost you quite a bit.

Recommendation - build a kit for a two way using those scan units you want, make it a sealed enclosure. Build a sub- stereo subs if you want- this should give you the best results if you cant measure anything.

The goal here is to have a high end speaker without any need for any subwoofer.

Yes but really what you are building is a two way with a sub, albeit maybe crossed over at a max of 150hz.

Put a PLLXO on the signal to the two way at the frequency you intend for the sub to come in at, this will transform the 12dB roll off of the sealed enclosure to 24dB and match the plate amp on the sub. Are most 24dB?

Well I have considered using a tweter and two 18ws as used commonly as a configuration in the Rhythm (North Creek) and others but I am quite confident that that would have some low frequency deficiency hence the consideration for the 12'' woofer.

Subs are good for techno type of music (or home cinema) but by definition do not add up any imaging to your system in orchestral pieces.

What sort of measuring equipment are you referring to? perhaps it is a worthwhile investment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.