3 way or 2way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
an old school 3-way front loaded horn system covering 50Hz and up is one usable approach without getting into high-end drivers - it may need some sort of good subwoofer - this might not be "best" but doable and would compliment some material needing good dynamic range from moderate to low power amplifiers. Old funky horns such as an Altec 511 function well enough for midrange with a phenolic 1" driver. Klipsch had it pretty much right. (I have K-horns and am not in love with the basshorn-mid - ugh - lol)

Last edited:
Hmmmm, putting caution aside, into the fray.

IMHO (H = humble), the betterrer (sic, better than better but not the best) option is an active three way.

Right, as I dodge the bullets, here are the reasons;
- a three way will invariably play more cleanly (less distortion and sibilance) than a two way (with due respect to some who make exceptional two ways, eg Dr Geddes)
- an active setup will ALWAYS (more bullets) be better than a passive setup (you will be surprised how many on this forum are running active)
- active means you DO NOT have to worry about impedance curves, if you make sure the crossover slope is adequate and the drivers can fulfil their roles
- you won't have to attempt the unenviable task of having to design, fund, and then try to work out a passive crossover.

As Steve said above, everything in audio is a compromise, so I suggest using the options that cause the les compromises.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
well ... it is possible to build a quite capeable 3way with relatively cheapish drivers

not sure I would be tempted to try that with a 2way, but only use very good drivers
and I might end up with subs as well

so the 2way 'approach' would probably end up being more expencive, in my world

I think you need to set some limits on what you mean by 2-way and 3-way. Are we talking common bookshelf and floorstanding speakers, or are we talking about speaker in the extreme, like for example, Voice of the Theater

http://www.audioworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/altec.lansing.a7.oblique.gif

Legend Reborn: Altec Lansing Reintroduces Legacy A7 ‘Voice Of The Theatre’ Speaker

Nice speaker, but not very practical.

As other have pointed out, 2-way speakers in the extreme can be very good, assuming you have a very substantial space to use them in.

However, normal common bookshelf and floorstanding projects are more within the realm of possibilities, and, as I said before, each has its pluses and minuses. It is easier to find drivers for a 3-way system because each speaker only has to cover a much smaller range.

If you are willing to make some compromises, then a 2-way bookshelf speakers can certainly sound good.

I think in a more practical sense, it gets down to what you want and need, combined with your available budget, and your available skills and tools.

Anyone who has ever heard a multi-way floorstanding speaker knows that they can sound very good, with deep bass, clear mids, and clean highs. But, they may not be cheap.

Equally there are many bookshelf and floorstanding 2-ways that can sound absolutely stellar - unbelievably clear and strong presence and wide sound stage. But expect to pay for that sound quality.

You should have no problem paying for truly stellar speakers in the range of $5000/pr to $15,000/pr. But, if you really want to go nuts, you should have no problem spending $30,000/pr to $150,000/pr.

Rather than discuss the merits and demerits of 2-way vs 3-way, what you need to concentrate on is the job you need to do. What you hope to accomplish will guide you more than general discussion of design.

First come the requirements, then from that comes the design. You don't build a 2-way with a single 4" bass driver if you plan to throw a RAVE. But then, for a desktop computer, you probably don't need 15" 2-way PA speakers.

The best speaker isn't a 2-way or a 3-way, it is the speaker that best serves your needs and your requirements, and comes in reasonably within your budget. Those are the critical factors.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

I would agree in principal with pretty much everything Bluewizard has out lined but there is one factor that seems to have gone unobserved. Its also the factor that helps me determine a particular design.

What are they going to be used for?

If you want a home theater speaker, then that's probably the design line best to follow.
However if you are like me a self confessed audiophile :) then you most likely will want them for music appreciation.

I recently designed and built set of two ways based on an 8 inch woofer, coupled with a titanium tweeter that crosses at 3000Khz. They sound very nice and natural and on live recordings have an airy aspect about them. The enclosure is a vented 30 litre floor stander. Rated at 90 RMS & 107dB max they will fill a large room with ease.

I also have the same drivers in a three-way that was designed for multi purpose roles, eg: Music & HT. While they two way has really nice sound characteristics, it becomes apparent quite quickly the a three-way has a much bigger soundstage and the midrange is cleaner and clearer, especially when it comes to vocals. The woofer enclosure is still 30 liters but the midrange sits in a 19 litre enclosure that is also vented. The midrange also picks up some of the upper bass frequencies thus its vented and tuned. This helps open up the midrange, making it sound less muted or congested. For me the separate controlled midrange is what I like for music appreciation, as well as good HT mains. The Two way is better suited as a pop/rock speaker and as such performs very well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This photo shows the Aria II's (at right) ---Aria Petittes (at left) and the Aria mains.
All have their purposes. The Petittes do duty as my HT satellites, but are equally adept at taking the place of their larger siblings should the need arise.

So it comes down to exactly what you want to use them for. If its purely for Music a well built two way would do the job, but a well built three way will do it better. This is of course a generalization as I've heard some two ways that blow the pants off a number of three ways I've heard from prominent manufactures.

If it comes down to cost the two way is where I would start.
Good Luck and welcome to the club, your doomed now :D

Oh and here is a sneak peek of my current endeavor...more to come on this later.

I would agree in principal with pretty much everything Bluewizard has out lined but there is one factor that seems to have gone unobserved. Its also the factor that helps me determine a particular design.

What are they going to be used for?

That was not unobserved, that was precisely my point.

Function leads form.

First is the job, then the device to do the job.

"The best speaker isn't a 2-way or a 3-way, it is the speaker that best serves your needs and your requirements, and comes in reasonably within your budget. Those are the critical factors."

Still, I agree completely with your central point.

Steve/bluewizard

That's 3-way for me.

If we're talking about speakers that can do 30hz-20khz with low distortion than it's much easier with a 3-way.
Problem with 2-ways is that the low bass distorts the critical midrange.
Strictly it is. Crossing over in the bass region isn't a problem. Actually it can be done twice as well. Crossing over however several times in midrange and treble introduces lobing issues. So IMO one shouldn't cross over more then maximum once in that area. Therefore, a two-way speaker with subs is ideal. Active of course for proper signal aligment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.