3"-75mm-apex diameter wave guide for SS 10FF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
the suround extra length from the front metalic plate is 2 mm...1.8 mm perhaps.

3 mm gasket so 1 mm to 1.2 mm space with the back plate of the throat.

The Eq/DSP is a no go for a cheap project as I have first to jump towards active filtering... have to cross the step towards the XXI century...:xfingers:

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
:) I understood the answer was in your question but dunno why. Thank you AllenB for the further explain.

At best it made me think to the aperiodic design which gives a cut off and seen in some sealed band pass sealed bass cabinet...

Now it's certainly a bad claim from me to call that a front chamber... the apex is also huge in relation to the said"chamber" not like an aperiodic bass cabinet where the holes looks like the diameter of a BR port.

With the 1 mm headroom given by JosephCrow...and open in vertical plan due to the eleptic apex he advices... definitly not looks like a front chamber as seen in high effiienty upper bass horn with 8" cone drivers or troncated apex like in an Altec A7 !

@ Joseph Crowe : I simulate the max spl of the Scan Speak 10 FF /8024G00 with two on line calculator 'excursion at Xmax. I chose 2.5 mm from the datasheet marked max linear exursion. 30 Watts (I don't know the maxium short term wattage it can handle) and have different results between 102 db spl at 1 m and 112 db spl at 1 m. May I ask you please what you measured raw?

Yur scanSpeak Elepticor :)D) apex is too much difficult for my skill but how long such horn should measure to add 6dB spl please ? Sorry for the naive question horn world is way above my head, I'm going to download some simulator and read some paper to dive in, but without speak about directivity index and horn shape, is the decibel increase is a ratio between the the surface of the mouth and its distance to the apex (at an already given aperture diameter) ?

Thank you very much guys for yur inputs and sorry for my basic questions... I think it will be a more long term project due to the complexity of the horn/WG approach at the opposit of the first post road map:( ... it may change into a more expensive but still cheap introduction to active filtering with basic devices (computer I own for instance).

cheers :grouphug:

Two Scanspeak 10F drivers would be able to achieve 119dB SPL with a %THD threshold of 1%. I was hitting 122dB across the horn’s bandwidth with my four driver horn for reference.
A very good 2-way bookshelf speaker with a 6” woofer that I tested in the same setup only achieved 95dB before hitting 1% distortion. Expect around 0.2% THD with the Scanspeak horn playing at moderate levels.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you for your answer Joseph Crowe.

95 db peak is very low with good jazz and classical recordings when there are attacks if I understand correctly. It means 20 db headroom at an average 75 db listening level...
In a flat, 115 db transcients seem a good trade off for my limited needs and 95% of my reccordings, so seems if a single 10F per speaker is choosed it really needs a horn to get the best of it...There is no more borring with music than compressed dynamic .... well if you have good recordings, amp and source. And we talk 1 meter, an average listening distance at home is often 3 meters. My only interogation is if it is or not to have distorsion at higher percents on attacks than last 0,1 to 1 seconds?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
My main goal about a horn or wave guide for the 87 db sensivity of the Ss 10F8424G00 is spl renforcment for transcients in order to respect the dynamic headroom with the average listening spl level. 95 db spl raw seems to be the level the driver seems to distorss too much, hence this thread.

I have, please, a question about horn loading and efficienty reenforcment in the low end of the horn.
If I draw a horn, whatever the shape philosophy Salmon or OS type, is it valid to think the depth should be minimum half of the wave length of the driver - F3 XO and the mouth width equal to the wave length of this same XO fhz?

For illustration, if I want to XO this driver at 700 hz, wave length is 46 cm so should be the mouth width and 23 cm the depth of the horn ?
How can I predict the new efficienty from the XO fhz of the filter please ? By modelling in hornresp ?

Is it possible to play with the flare in order to reduce the mouth width by increasing the depth of the horn, or is the heigth and width mouth of the horn still rule the angles radiation patern as well? Is the progressive expansion from the throat then rapid flare decay at the mouth will be the more efficient to load and minimizing the foot printnof the horn for a living room area ?

Sorry for the basics questions.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 10F in a tractrix has such high sensitivity and good impedance matching to the air in the room that it is very loud. As a result, it moves very little to achieve SPL volumes we normally listen to and is ultra low distortion because the cone barely moves. It is one of the most clear and transparent mids I have heard. The Akabak simulations snow that the cone only moves 40 micrometers to generate 90dB at 1m. There is not much distortion when I come moves less than a human hair diameter.

Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

513132d1446877398-presenting-trynergy-full-range-tractrix-synergy-trynergy-10f.png

439379d1411195658-presenting-trynergy-full-range-tractrix-synergy-tractrix-part-2m-stereo.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
UThank you for the input,
I tried to make your foam horn but wake up due to my poor skills. I really think a synergy is what I needed with this neutral driver despite his default break up in the 2k area in the 8 ohms version, at least on the datasheet. If I draw the throat that Joseph Crow advised, what would you please advise as length and width to acheive 115 db peak without reaching the Xmax ?

The goal of this spl renforcment would permit to marry it with a 15 bass Faital around 700 hz. As far I understand, I do not need to go 1,5 higher than the cut off of the horn for a good loading and spl renforcment for such drivers in its low end...
In an ideal world I assume the horn mouth should be 15" for a smooth XO transition with a 15 inches ? I don't know if feasible though, hence my basic questions.... I don't think the 15pr400 needs to climb higher than 115 db peak for my home needs on transcients... the spl of the faital is 99 db for 2.83 v...anyway will go active 2 way if needed.
At 3m sweet spot, 115 db is more than most of the conventional tower speakers , I'm not a mixer needing 130 db spl peaks as seen in some reccording studios

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Is it possible to play with the flare in order to reduce the mouth width by increasing the depth of the horn, or is the heigth and width mouth of the horn still rule the angles radiation patern as well?
You should recognise where you are changing from waveguide style to traditional horn. Waveguide offers the most control for the size, if that answers your question.

The depth guideline is aimed more at traditional horns. Also, cutoff is not something that waveguides are very susceptible to.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you AllenB,

Not sure I understand the full sense of the word "most control" here related to my question about spl/eficienty boost.

Do you mean one can acheive a same spl efficienty increasment with a lower size -in depth direction: mouth to throat- if we use an OS WG patern over a Salmon family horn ?
Then from Xrk971 input and for my limited needs a low depth OS Wave Guide may have enough spl renforcment from 600/700 hz as I don't need the full spl headroom a tractrix gives. In other words : don't mess with horn depth parameter when using an OS WG shape?

Because if the wave guide needs to be greater than 20" width/diameter to boost the spl eficienty as low as 600/700 hz then it's a no go for me.So I assume I need to simulate my spl boost needs with Akabak soft for the real depth (and width) of the WG I need... Anyway I believe to understand the OS WG shape is also easier for matching the lower driver directivity around the XO.

Do I understood you corectly ?

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
No, I mean the waveguide offers a narrower directivity at its lower frequencies compared to a Salmon family of the same throat, length and mouth. These will go wide at a higher frequency.

On the other hand you have an increase in efficiency through loading. I can't say I'm sure how your dome responds to this. Some drivers are better for loading, and other drivers don't respond positively enough to horn loading.

I have used a waveguide of 20" on a tweeter. It was good to 700Hz, maybe 500Hz.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Got It, thanks. Very good news for me if you go as low as 500/700 cycles with a WG and just a little dome. Hum, perhaps not too much expensive to try a 20" Seos but cut the throat to 2.5 " to 3" with a saw and glue a wood adaptator with Joseph Crow eleptical shape to fire some measurments...That what I asking myself with horns, can we barely predict a spl curve from T&S of the driver with softs like Akabak or hornresp...

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sorry, I forgot to mention I use compression tweeters. :eek:

However, these aren't supposed to go this low either. It is the waveguide I'm reporting on as far as size and frequency. You can use this as a baseline and scale to what you need. Also if you have extra size available you can use it as a roundover. If you round too early you will take it wider, but smoothly.

General rule of thumb is 1/4 wavelength on the depth of the horn determines the cutoff frequency (Fc). Second to that is the mouth area must be sufficiently large to not introduce first order reflections back down the horn. But generally if your horn width is twice the depth or larger then your doing okay. This creates at least a 90 degree coverage pattern just by simple geometry. The actual crossover point depends on too many variables to discuss here and typically requires building the horn and doing a full set of measurements to see where things are at. The most important for low reflections is the horn mouth treatment in terms of the geometry at the horn mouth. Any physical abrupt edges at the horn mouth will introduce reflections and so every effort should be made to round off the horn mouth if sound quality is a priority. I mention this because it’s often dismissed as not important enough to invest in further build effort.
But generally any abruptness in the entire horn flare geometry is a bad thing.
Also, the 10F on a front horn (200Hz Fc) is one of the best midrange I’ve heard.
Regarding headroom and distortion I personally target +10dB SPL above maximum listening level with <0.50% THD. If <0.20% your doing good. I do all %THD measurements at 1 meter mic distance using ARTA sine sweep. Many argue the audibility of distortion however all the tests I’ve seen to validate perceptibility were conducted on non horn speakers with >0.50% THD to begin with so I’m not sure how those tests are valid.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I'm planing & sketching without knowledge

Thank you gentlemen. I'm going to start from your shared experience & knowledge. :)

It is very less simple I firstly surmised as a pandemic covid-19 lockdown project and that's good because the brain is more busy and focused than imagined : cool :cool: ... I wanted it cheap project because my wallet, not saying my manual skills, with a cheap horn of shelves I could eventually cut and adapt the throat with a little wood... It does not exist really, so let's start from DIY the horn as a first step. By beginning the hardest project part, one has a go no-go for the further steps.

So this Scan-Speak 10F 8424G00 8 ohms is around 87 db @2.83 V will ne horned. I listened the old Xrk971 recordings in home room of the 3" competitors he provided in a thread of the Full range section of the forum. I found this one to be the most neutral of all in the recording configuration : picture of the room as above from Xrk971 showed relativly reverberant condition so not so damped. I eventually disagree the paper contender is more natural. Smoother perhaps, so lightly colored, so unatural to me !

The Scan Speak for my tastes on my main speaker and with a headphone was clear, have light and very informative without brighness, the best highs of the bench especially on piano and brass, very neutral/uncolored. As a shortcut I would say the recording sounded like an unit between a very good paper and an aluminium driver without the colored smoothness of some old unit made of polymer cone as this unit is made of. I have to remember of this when

I will choose the driver below... 40 hz F3 in mind till the XO planed for the moment at 750/800 hz cause H3 are a little too high below... but measurments are with raw driver. A little too high frequency for a 15", but I dunno for the moment: horn directivity in the low, bafle step, room modes, center to center, acoustic centers of the horn for time alignment... mdern drivers that beam less fastly...then maybe futur active system with EQ are few of the datas to keep in mind. I decided to start from the horn

The room in which the speaker could be happy has an average temperature of 23°C / 73° F so the speed of sound to calculate the wave length is 343 m/s.
For a 750/800 hz XO the wawe length is 46/43 cm, so is the width of the horn mouth. I know nothing about horns, I imagine the smooth suround edge of the horn is inside that width or at least at the apex of the smooth edge transition between the external of the horn. Which is the midle of the edge, like the midle of a ruber M roll surround for ilustration. So let's take 48/45 cm bafle width for the whole speaker, it lets 2cm of smooth round transition to avoid the difraction with the 3 external sides of the horn : left & right side & top, below is the woofer unit. Earl Gedles 2 way speakers are inspiring as the last diy designs shown by experienced members like Joseph Crow, Bmc0, mabat, docali. The Qts of the ScanSpeak is limit high to be horned with 0.4 measured by some, but proves of concept exist with aready existing speaker from Joseph Crow horn to Xrk971 foam horn at diferent complexity scales.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
journal of hifi dumie planing his loudspeaker

I don't want a one meter wok horn like AvantGarde speakers that use domed drivers for their huge midrange horns with some models. Too much intrusive for a non dedicated listened room. When I look at it, I imagining street food indonesian nasi goreng cooked on such horn wok with strong fire... don't get me wrong, I do like nasi goreng tasty rice receips minute food street...

So 45 cm bafle & horn width is already a trade off. Calapamos loudspeaker size from HumbleHomeMadeHifi or The Troel's Gravsen's The Loudspeaker come in mind !

Depth of the horn to load and have a spl boost from the Xoed driver frequency: 1/4 of 45 cm, circa 18" ...drums roll.. is 11 cm circa 4.5"

Well I don't know the width of a 15" mouth bass driver which I could plan. But if the acoustic center is near the horn acoustic center.. it could provide a sort of circa time alignment if no electronic delay aka passive filter !

That's in the horizontal plan... In the vertical plan, center to center distance between the horn and the driver below must be important as well to plan the frequency acoustic XO of the loudpeaker from the very few I know about my readings at diyaudio and few loudspeakers understanding books for Dumies I have.

Ah... then comes the understanding of the acoustic Fc of the horn in its low end vs the crossover Fc of the loudspeaker crossover XO. Often, we read in the litterature and horn datasheet the horn has its own Fc and the usable range is above. I understand the usable starting range as the area where the horn still load-spl renforce, still has directivity controll : the relation between loading and directivity being a mystery to me.

If such sized horn for the Scan Speak 10F 8424G00 is enough to a beter efficienty to reach 115 db dynamic instant peaks at 1 meter below the Xmax for very limited distorsion, it's enough for my home needs. But 115 db will be funier at 3 meters listening position.

I opened an online calculator and two more meters gives a -9.5 db atenuation. So circa 125 db efficienty at 1 meter could be a targett as well to reach the 115 db max at 3 m listening position. But again I imagine it's rare in the recordings. Loudness war, use of Red book reccording in my library, limits of amp, damping numbers, Watts needed at maximun spl peaks and DAC I have... how to choose the max spl speaker number ? Ok the good efficienty of a horn married with a PA driver may help me ! But efficienty with bass driver in the PA world is meaning huge cabiners cause the VAS of such drivers is very bigger than Hifi market ones. We are often above 120 liters for a vented PA 15" around 40 hz F3 for the best.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I'm mainly listen to Jazz, rock, classic and traditional/world music. Used to listen live music, mainly jazz clubs, but also big classical venues with classic. I like the live street and traditional unpluged music with few instruments. I note a trumpett has 112 db max spl at its mouth if I remember. I also note indian rythmik tablas I like too are hard tempo to reproduce because fastness and instant damping when striked and complex sound when rubbed to produce a low frequency long note. Transcient feeling also has to see with the health of the horned driver to deliver harmonics I also noted.

Hum... F3 of the speaker and alignment is a complex trade off for dumie I am. I have sealed speakers and like their clean transcient behavior. But those are classic 3 W speakers. I really don't know about a high eficienty vented 2 ways but rare listenings at enthusiasts places and reccording studios or electrised theater small venues!

At equal volume, a sealed with such 15" PA driver is more towards 70/80 hz F3 with the best for low end alignment which is Qtc (box+driver) 0.707 number.

... no subs wanted it's a 2 ways projects. Less young than younger, I may have problems of all sort to integrate and move 250 liters sealed cabinet for a clean, clear sealed design (sealed coffins are said to sound more transparant, clear near an infinite volume loads so near their VAS. I noted in my memory, less back energy from the compressed air volume equal better sound in sealed box design. I dunno but expensive 15" drivers if less than 100 liters sealed exists for a 40 hz F3 with a 0.707 Qtc, which is acceptable transcient... not a 0.5 Qtc... but with such wave length : 8.6 meters at 40 hz, I think the room and reflection are more of a problem anyway. that's my fault I should just purchase a good headphone !

So room modes, Helmotz room frequency often starting towards 200 hz in home rooms is something I have to remeber as well when will come the time to the driver/box choices... The room tules them all ! Not easy without electronic EQ... Electronic EQ is not easy because it's expensive for a good result, let's throw away MiniDSP cheapest units for instance ! Sources are of a Huuuuge importance to reproduce music.

Time now to RTFM to horn sketch. Cool pictures from 3D printed horns and the fact you can rent such printers for a day are avocating to unproscatinate... approximatly. I have a cool list : Mabat, Akabak, Hornresp listenings...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.