2SK246 replacement as constant current device

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I have a proton D1200 that blew one output and took out the voltage regulator circuit. I found suitable replacements or original transistors for most but am stuck with a fet used as constant current source. It's a 2SK246 and I'm not sure if something like a bs170 would work here.

Proton PS.jpg

My bad, it was listed somewhere as a cross reference but I should have looked a little closer.
How important is max voltage in this case, it looks like there should only be a few volts across it right ? All those you listed (although very welcome) are obsolete, I can't imagine there isn't a reference that would work and is still available at mouser.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What about a J112 ? its a bit light on voltage but then again, what does it actually see in use. I guess startup is one period when it might see a bit more than under normal operation.

Are you 100% certain the original is faulty?

What about a J112 ? its a bit light on voltage but then again, what does it actually see in use. I guess startup is one period when it might see a bit more than under normal operation.

Are you 100% certain the original is faulty?

Oh yes I'm 100% certain, they actually blew to pieces, together with those way to closely rated BC546/556 (rated for 65V when there's actually 76V across them, it's quite strange they actually last this long in these amps, this fault is well known in these amps).
Is "drain source on resistance" important in this application, because the j112 has only 50ohm where the original have 650ohm ? Looks promising otherwise, thanks Mooly.

Hi, I think I have some of those JFETs in stock but I will have to check next weekend.

If you're absolutely sure they are the real deal (there are some fakes on ebay) that would be great.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
On resistance isn't important because the FET is just being used as a basic current source. The omission of a source resistor means the current you get is totally device dependent and will vary from device to device depending upon the devices Idss value.

If it is zapped then I would do a full rebuild and also be sure to change those 2SD/2SB devices because those have a nasty habit of failing with an intermittently high resistance B-E junction.

In that case indeed J112 (5mA against somewhere between 2.5 and 6.5mA for the 2sk246GR) would be a good replacement, gonna give it a try. Both 2SD and 2SB devices were toast as well, I'm replacing them with KSA1220A and KSC2690A, they seem pretty close spec wise.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would think the Darlington configuration with no B-E resistor on the series pass transistor would make it pretty slow in the scheme of things :) and its also working directly into a 47uF cap which resists suddenly having the output voltage across it change.

Makes a lot of sense indeed. I'll post an update when I installed all the new parts.

A previous repair (by a professional according to the invoice) clearly made things worse, I suspect some parts were changed, because some stuff definitely wasn't original and the soldering was awful, and turned on again without any current limiting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.