2SC2240 Equivalent

Be aware. I have struggled with fake 2sc2240 for some months. They were bought from a Danish supplier and I have sent him a little feedback on this just for information. I was not able to adjust the DC level on the output of my KSA100 II. I could not get it under 300mv. As soon as I changed to the original transistors I had from another DIY project everything was ok. I can imagine that if these transistors were used in another configuration you would never have noticed the difference. This problem have caused me a lot of months lost of construction time and a lot of scratching my head. I am now able to continue to put out info on this thread: Stolen Trademark Amplifier from Jim's Audio on EBAY

Joined 2010
Paid Member
For several years now, constructors here have simply changed to Fairchild KSC1845 and KSA992 and these are effectively direct replacements with comparable specs to Toshiba's obsolete 2SC2240 and 2SA970. If you buy them from Onsemi or their authorized distributors, they will be genuine product that works every time - no guesswork about fakes, silly high prices, alleged NOS parts from shady on-line traders etc.

Why don't you take a look at the parts people are designing amplifiers with right now at this forum in 2020? Thats right, the Onsemi ones ;)

The SSM2220 has been obsoleted for a few years. It is not recent.

However the npn version SSM2212 is a current product. Not quite as good as the obsolete pnp one, but still 0.85nV/rootHz at 1mA and a 1/f corner at ~1Hz. Surface mount of course.

Or the MAT12, which is the same silicon in a metal 6-lead TO78 housing. At about five times the price of the SSM2212.

Both from Mouser among others

For several years now, constructors here have simply changed to Fairchild KSC1845 and KSA992 and these are effectively direct replacements with comparable specs to Toshiba's obsolete 2SC2240 and 2SA970. If you buy them from Onsemi or their authorized distributors, they will be genuine product that works every time - no guesswork about fakes, silly high prices, alleged NOS parts from shady on-line traders etc.

Why don't you take a look at the parts people are designing amplifiers with right now at this forum in 2020? Thats right, the Onsemi ones ;)

i had test the KSC1845,it en is about 2.2nv

Although an old thread, I'd like to hear from anyone who's compared the 2SC2240 to the;
Hitachi 2SC1775
Rohm 2SC2389S
Sanyo 2SC2362-H

I'd be happy to do a small quantity trade of my Toshiba 2SC2240-GR/2SA970-GR for any of the above, PM me if interested.

Regards,
Ben

Last edited:
2SC2713 is the exact equivalent of the 2SC2240. Identical spec sheet word for work and graph for graph. SOT23 surface mount.

Like most semiconductors it is pandemic struck and pretty much out of stock everywhere, with estimated delivery typically at the end of this year to even next year.

Someone mentioned the 2SC3324 as an equivalent (surface mount). It is, but is now EOL.

Hi, I am new in repairing vintage amplifiers but I quickly learned that the old transistors are long obsolete and the equivalents are also obsolete.
When soldering in an 2SC2713 in place of the Through-hole version, is there any consideration for the length of the wires, etc in order to keep the noise low?

Also, is there a similar SMT equivalent for the 2SA970?
It would be great hearing from you all, thank you.

Hi
I am very impressed by the power of social media. We have people from Norway, Brazil, Poland, Australia, China, UK, Canada and now Denmark working together to find solutions to the same problems, this is great.

I was looking for an smt equivalent for the 2SA970, I think it should be 2SA1312.

Hi.We are making Marantz MA9s2 clone.There are many transistors for HDAM units and amplifier inputs.
We are wondering what is " Low pulse noise" at 2sc2240 datasheet
We need as high voltage as 2sc2240 but it is rare and expensive.
What will be alternatives?
Is KTC3200 and KTA1268 better than KSC1845-F and KSA992-F ?
KSC1845 does not have low pulse noise expression on datasheet.
Regards

@Veysel
The text on the first page of the datasheet where the "pulse noise" (Low pulse noise: Low 1/f noise) is mentioned has a slight engrish accent, ie. poor translation of flicker noise, the '1/f noise' mentioned on the same line seems to suggest so.
2SC2713 which is the same silicon as 2SC2240 doesn't have that mentioned in the datasheet.

Reactions: 1 user
For typical power amp input stages and line level signal work. For phono a phono pre, where the LF gain is sky high, in application where DC gain is not rolled off and offset drift would be noticeable, or where source impedances are very low with high gain you need to get picky about your transistors’ and the different contributors to overall noise.

Reactions: 1 user