250 hcca grounded out problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perry,

So I powered it up and works and sounds fine, GREAT!. I then pull, twisted, and pushed on the transformer. The fuse did not blow. I just want to make sure that the transformer is the thing with the 4 wire I desolder and solder a few times, right? What should we do next?

Thanks again,

Sean

Yes, that's the transformer.

I'd put it back together and reinstall it (with two 15 amp fuses instead of 30s) leaving the FET that you replaced out of it. If it works for days or weeks, it could indicate that there's an intermittent connection the gate resistor, or on the gate pad or a trace on the gate circuit for that FET. If it blows the fuses again, there is another problem.

Perry,

When putting it all back together I noticed that the 2 large caps actually touch the sliding bottom cover. This might make the board bend a mm or two. Plus 1 cap has a soft top on it. The other is hard. Please see the attached picture. Should this be something to worry about?

Thanks,

Sean

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 45
Perry,

I put all back together again and now it dosen't work again, its blew a fuse. I measured the 3205s and none of the pins equal close to 0 ohms. I really think its those caps. How can I test them. I used to get 1.5 M ohms at B+ and ground when it worked and now its around 200 ohms. Could the caps have anything to do with this?

Thanks,

Sean

While I guess you can't completely rule out the capacitors, I really doubt that they're at fault. If you don't have an iron that's up to it, you risk damaging the board in a way that may be difficult to repair properly.

Is the FET that repeatedly blew still in the circuit? If so, does it read slightly lower than the rest of the FETs (1-2)?

Perry,

I really can't get a good reading for some reason. When I read 1 & 2 it goes up then down from the low 100s to M and then K. This happens on all the FETs on the power side. Not sure why it is doing this. The output side gives my a constant reading. I don't think is my meter. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.