2150sx component location

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
havent yet put it in the car and on subs...ive been playing the amp all day full range trimode on 4 ohm speakers.....(two-4" and one 4"x6")

and its holding up so far whewwwww...this thing is going to sound much better on my subs than the 225 i have on them. :D

there is one little nit picky thing though....(here we go again)
at the faintest volume level (level 1-3) the sound is scratchy,then it goes away as the volume hits around 4 on a scale of 1-25...

first start up, the scratchyness isnt there, as things start to warm up it comes on.

its barely noticeable, but there....without a scope is there any way to track it?

im thinking it has something to do with reference ground in the signal path....or it may be the small caps at the rca jacks...i changed the rca jacks , and that area got pretty hot, so maybe i boiled them.

the ps is still making that buzzing sound... i had a 225 that did the same thing and the scratchyness was there also.

but all in all im just freaking happy that this thing....that was bound for the garbage, is back to life kicking and screaming!!!

(i bought new outputs today) :D

Thanks Perry

Today I found the manual and realised the card (cross over ect..)
was installed correctly.

I set them up by the diagram and tried it and thats when I came across the problem off blowing fuses.

My terminology may be wrong here so please for give me.

I have tried the amp before and it powered up fine but no sound.
I took the amp apart and couldn't see anything out of place.

My terminology may be wrong here so please for give me.

When I took it apart some off the white grease got wiped off the transistors (?) that screw to the heat sink.

Is this a non electrical conducting grease? I'm thinking that may be where the short is occuring.

The grease is used to promote heat transfer from the transistor to the insulator and from the insulator to the heatsink.

If the insulators are intact (none missing and no visible holes), there could be a metal splinter between the transistors and the heatsink. The splinters come from the screw holes.

If you powered the amp up without having the transistors clamped down tightly, it's likely that one or more of the transistors overheated and failed.

Most of the components under the clamps are transistors. The transistors connected to the large resistors (red. yelow, silver, gold bands) are the output transistors.

To insure good heat transfer from the transistors to the heatsink, you need to reapply new heatsink compound (grease). Of course, you need to find the reason it's blowing fuses before you concern yourself with the grease.

Until you find the problem, you should use a small fuse (nothing larger than a 15A fuse) in the power wire to help prevent damaging other components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.