2020 choice of USB/audio bridge

@proid,
Same problem with Comtrue CT7302. Sounded bad to me.

Sometimes it's helpful to take a step back and consider by what mechanism this could be true.

If it's operating in asynchronous mode and the clocks are local to the converters, then there is very little that can be wrong with it. Especially if you employ galvanic isolation or and/or reclock the I2S outputs if you believe in the necessity of that. Regardless, all that is often done with XMOS or other interfaces. If you take those steps, then I can see no real mechanism for this or any other USB interface chip to affect the sound unless it is messing with the data. I am not sure you even need to go that far, but if you have done that, there is no credible explanation other than cognitive bias.

I see, well, if it's not then I don't see what it has to do with this thread or any other products they make. I incorrectly assumed it would be a USB bridge (and not an ASRC) because that's what was being discussed.

Still, my comments could apply to the CT7601.

Last edited:
CT7601 evb has a marginal audio performance due to the cheapest ADC/DAC chips onboard. I did post the schematic.pdf in the first my post here, as I remember there are PCM5100 and CS5340, probably both chips together within $1.

No, i didn't test it with the onboard PCM5100 Dac, i take the i2s signal to feed another dac board and compare with using CM6631 i2s signal, so the only different here is i2s signal, the later is much better.
One thing that i'm confused is i didn't think the ct7601 has a clock at all, the clock local to ct7601 is not popullate but it still function.

Last edited:
@proid,
Same problem with Comtrue CT7302. Sounded bad to me.

Sometimes it's helpful to take a step back and consider by what mechanism this could be true.

If it's operating in asynchronous mode and the clocks are local to the converters, then there is very little that can be wrong with it.

WRT CT7302, I emailed them a long time ago to get info on jitter rejection corner freq of this ASRC chip.
They didn't seem to know what I was talking about and couldn't return a meaningful answer.

Given a jitter rejection vs freq profile is intrinsic to design of any ASRC, I'd say a whole lot could be wrong with it.

TCD

WRT CT7302, I emailed them a long time ago to get info on jitter rejection corner freq of this ASRC chip.
They didn't seem to know what I was talking about and couldn't return a meaningful answer.

Given a jitter rejection vs freq profile is intrinsic to design of any ASRC, I'd say a whole lot could be wrong with it.

TCD

I wasn't talking about the ASRC, I confused 7302 for another USB bridge. That would be an important spec for an ASRC, although perhaps not as important as one would think considering AKM and Cirrus decline to publish it or tell you what it is for AK4137 or CS8421.

Last edited:
And my "number" is 9 i.e. I've got Harman's "How to listen" level #9 by the first attempt ;) I have no idea who are you and what about your hearing ability and skills, of course, I can not consider your opinion like an information, only like a noise.

Exactly. Somehow I think if this chip came from a North American firm with a better datasheet it might sound better. ;)

BTW, just now Comtrue sent me the dedicated E1DA co. ltd. driver and didn't ask for money at all. I did ask them a couple of weeks ago about how to deal with numbers of products if they gave me only one PID? So, Comtrue prepared for me E1DA driver with an extended PID list for future products for free. Did I regret that found them once? Definitely no.