200W IRS2092 Amp for $20

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Connect one of these between each low voltage output (pins 1 and 2) and the ground pin (pin 4) on the connector CON203:
150 Ohm 5W Resistor Wire Wound 5% Tolerance

Leave pin 3 on CON 203 unconnected.

This will draw the required current from the low voltage outputs and the PS will behave.

Great. When you say behave does that mean 450watt rating is good then? All this talk of can't break 100w is moot?

Yes, glowing filaments en vacuo always make it sound better. :eek:

With my newly modified power supply I noted that:

1) it is silent up to about 100W after which it makes a moderately quiet noise in synch with the music.

2) I tried testing my IRS2092 amp with a 4 ohm resistive load (2 50w 8 ohms in parallel) and the resistors got scalding hot at about 30VRMS which measured at about 1%THD and I stopped.

using this PS with an 8 ohm resistive load, at 10W (20KHz filter) my amp measured:
.04% THD from 80Hz rising to .06% at 20KHz and S/N of 65dB

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks. I've had this
2 Channel 250Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board IRS2092 250W Stereo Power HiFi | eBay on my watch list but really wanted mono units to use as a bass amplifier.

so I found these which look the same as the OP
2pcs IRS2092 200W Class D Mono Amplifier Board | eBay

Very informative reading for me. Thanks
Now to read the links Charlielaub posted.

Can't really compare because totally different topology and capability. 3116 is great for 30 to 40 watts but for more than 50 watts this 2092 is so much better. It is very low distortion and clean sounding. I would say sounds as good if not better than my 3116 amps.

What about heat? Is it very hot or passive heatsink should be fine?

Here's a picture of my active 2-way crossover being tested. I've got two IRS2092 mono boards, one Rpi2 with cirrus card, and a power supply. The board can handle 4 amps - I'm doing a mix of 2-way and 4-way.

It's a bit sloppy but ok for testing.

Attachments

• TwoWayCrossover.jpg
    TwoWayCrossover.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 718
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here's a picture of my active 2-way crossover being tested. I've got two IRS2092 mono boards, one Rpi2 with cirrus card, and a power supply. The board can handle 4 amps - I'm doing a mix of 2-way and 4-way.

It's a bit sloppy but ok for testing.

Nice! I like the CNC pockets to mount the pcb's complete with wooden standoffs built in. What part is that header pin you are using to connect the wires to the power supply?

Those are commonly called Phoenix connectors and are made in both metric and imperial sizes. The Netric ones are 5mm pitch and the imperial ones are 5.08mm. You can jam in the wrong sized but check you have the correct size mating parts.

They are second sourced from Camden Boss in the UK.

noob here, I am enjoying all this info on class D and class AB high wattage amps in modules. also the dual rail, +-53v supply. what I want to know next is what is out there for the front end that also comes in a module package for preamp/ 3 band or more eq and maybe even a compressor all in one? I should say I want one for a bass guitar amp. These prices are amazing and I do have a large electronic background. But that was awhile ago and now I am retired. I appreciate any info on a front end for this bass guitar amp I want to assemble, possibly 300 watts or 500 watts. Sorry if I posted here by mistake instead of a new thread.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
noob here, I am enjoying all this info on class D and class AB high wattage amps in modules. also the dual rail, +-53v supply. what I want to know next is what is out there for the front end that also comes in a module package for preamp/ 3 band or more eq and maybe even a compressor all in one? I should say I want one for a bass guitar amp. These prices are amazing and I do have a large electronic background. But that was awhile ago and now I am retired. I appreciate any info on a front end for this bass guitar amp I want to assemble, possibly 300 watts or 500 watts. Sorry if I posted here by mistake instead of a new thread.

Welcome aboard! Posting here is fine - usually a good way to get some answers without starting up too many new threads. If a topic is hot and OT, we can always spin off a new thread at that point.

If you get a bass amp speaker box with two 250 w bass guitar drivers, two of these amps are just the ticket and they can both be powered with the single 53v dual rail ps for 400w.

Would this little guitar preamp work for you? Aliexpress has lots of good cheap stuff like this - just search around.

JOYO EQ 504 Digital 4 Band Colorful Knobs EQ LCD Display Pickup Preamp & Tuner for Guitar-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or

Generic 4band Guitar Preamp EQ Pickup with 4 Colors Back Light LCD Tuner Take Mic -in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The first one might work if I could get in and tweak the center freq's. The two top controls will not have a lot of effect on a bass guitar. It would be better to have a low/mid control around 500hz and the next one set around 2khz. Nice price for just $16

The second one is closer in center freq's for bass guitar eq. I deally, I would like a low frq roll off around 40hz to 60hz. a bass boost around 100hz, a low mid dip around 500hz, a 2k boost and a hi freq roll of around 5k or so.

Thanks for finding these two. I will try to look more.

Welcome aboard! Posting here is fine - usually a good way to get some answers without starting up too many new threads. If a topic is hot and OT, we can always spin off a new thread at that point.

If you get a bass amp speaker box with two 250 w bass guitar drivers, two of these amps are just the ticket and they can both be powered with the single 53v dual rail ps for 400w.

Would this little guitar preamp work for you? Aliexpress has lots of good cheap stuff like this - just search around.

JOYO EQ 504 Digital 4 Band Colorful Knobs EQ LCD Display Pickup Preamp & Tuner for Guitar-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or

Generic 4band Guitar Preamp EQ Pickup with 4 Colors Back Light LCD Tuner Take Mic -in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The Joyo one also looks good for bass guitar freq's. The middle one is intended to use in a guitar mod. But I guess I could also just make a small box with the power amps. I like the four band and five band better. It would be really cool to mod them so there is an extra pot for sweeping the mid freq's... a parametric eq.For these low prices and and a built in tuner, what the heck. :)