2 x Hypex SMPS1200 dead following power cut

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Oh sorry...not that Bruno...this Bruno telling a lot of "misterrrry" BS about AV companies to justify those insane prices for some things that the AV industry is striving to sell for 10...50 times cheaper only because those capacitors can only last a maximum of 3 years and offering Warranty for a product means you have to employ and qualify lots of cheap technicians able to fix those damn things, but here's the real catch: instead of licencing the purify and hypex products to bigger manufacturers that can deal with the cutting costs while loosing ownership of the technology and thus the grip on the "hype" ex market, it's better to deploy all the service and maintenance products in the hands of the final consumer for better money !

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same problem on one channel of my Nord One SE. The relay on the SMPS1200A400 won't click when I turned on the amp in the morning.
When this problem started 2 days ago, the relay will click occasionally (1~2 times in 10 minutes) if I kept the amp on. But, it won't click at all now.
No sudden power cut prior to this.

I have checked and done what Landmaker did but no luck.
  • The fuses are fine ->Done
  • The current inflow thermistors are fine ->Should be OK since 4 main caps are able to charge up to >150Vdc
  • The main capacitors are charging ->Done. Charged up to >150Vdc
  • I've tried letting the main capacitors discharge fully before powering on again ->Done. Verified all 4 caps with DVM to be 0V
  • I have checked on other power outlets ->Done
  • I have tested with and without NCORE modules hooked up ->Done. Tried this on the good channel and relay will click

Additional checks:
  • Inspected and confirmed no bulging caps
  • Swapped good and bad channels SMPS ->Confirmed the bad SMPS won't turn on (no relay click)
  • Replaced C38 with 220uF/50V cap ->no change
  • Measured C38 leads ->~5.2Vdc
  • Measured C39 leads -> 0V
  • Measured U1 and U2 (12Vdc regulator) -> no input or output voltage
  • Measured relay coil -> 0V
  • No output from J5-V(aux) ->Nord One uses J5 V(aux)-GND pins for power on/off LED on the front panel. When the LED wires were swapped to the good channel's SMPS J5, the LED will illuminate.

I will replace C39 next, but I would appreciate if anyone has more experience to share. Thank you!