2-Way Vifa P17 Tymphany Horn Tweeter "VF2"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My name is Javad and I am a speakeroholic. =)

I "needed" some new front channel HT speakers for the TV room, I had these 4 Vifa P17WJ00-08 woofers, they are actually 20+ years old, hard to believe!

I picked up these Tymphany horn loaded aluminum done tweeters as they are very efficient, 8ohms and had a nice look to them.

I have a bunch of left over maple plywood from my RS4 project so undecided to glue up a bunch of the smaller pieces and make some enclosures for these woofers. You can see some seams if you look carefully.

Ports are 2.75" from Amazon, only $12 a pair prime and look very nice.

I used a simple premade passive crossover from PE at 3kHz.

They sound nice, don't hold a candle to the PS2 I finished recently but they sound great with movies and good with music. Not a lot of bass out of these woofers, they go flat to about 80 and start dropping off from there which is fine as I'll be building a subwoofer next.

Tweeters are very lively but I wouldn't say they are bright or harsh, very crisp and detailed, not bad for $20 each.

Cabinets are 28l, port tuned to about 60hz, they sit 34" tall. Stain in Varathane Ebony, finish is Minwax semigloss poly from a rattle can.

Anyway, fun project that cost less than $100, I have a total of 15 hours into them between Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

41722582c22619d71122ac40b44d2454.jpg

f99959a8e89908e9b89d2976a85bcf33.jpg

4fd96bc0918f5ce8059b5f3046a14572.jpg

Thanks!

DId you look at what Duntech made with those nice p17 ? swap for a first order filter around 4 k Hz with a Seas Excell tweeter (the one which match the 91 dB efficienty of the two P17 in // (88 db + 3 dB)

duntech.com , there was an old model, not the AMbasador but the same in the line just before (without the bass driver....

Xo in the low end was close, around 80/100 Hz.

a satori 92 dB tweeter could match also with a little resistor in serie...

Last edited:
DId you look at what Duntech made with those nice p17 ? swap for a first order filter around 4 k Hz with a Seas Excell tweeter (the one which match the 91 dB efficienty of the two P17 in // (88 db + 3 dB)

duntech.com , there was an old model, not the AMbasador but the same in the line just before (without the bass driver....

Xo in the low end was close, around 80/100 Hz.

a satori 92 dB tweeter could match also with a little resistor in serie...

No hadn't heard of them, just had these drivers and wanted to use parts I had on hand, sounding good for HT use, I just finished a center channel as well using the same tweeter, 8" Vifa M22 woofer and Dayton 2" dome mid

6d5592516f463f9d8f824045c2e6233e.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.