2 Way SB15MFC-08 + SB26STC-04

Dissi, we have missed you. Where have you been? :)

763568d1560800341-commercial-2-standmount-speaker-project-xo-jpg

Blatent error there, surely? Tweeter capacitors in the wrong order. A Child of Ten can see that.

Capacitors could be the wrong way round, i agree as typically that's how it works out with tweeter Xovers.

Who knows , it could be a subtlety with this design. Ideally it would be nice to see graphs and a phase switch to see null.

Maybe Dissi knows if it is a simple error or not ?

It doesn't look too bad to me. I happened to have some measurements of the sister 26CAC tweeter (basically identical) taken for a commercial project a year ago. It was a compact MTM, but baffle width isn't far off (6mm difference), so notwithstanding some changes in diffraction & loading mostly in the 1KHz - 2KHz region, it should be vaguely near.

Blue = raw on-baffle. Red with the above 4th order electrical high pass, level padding & damping resistor. Green indicates a nominal 4th order Bessel slope, 83.5dB, 2.25KHz nominal, which it's tracking in this instance quite well. Impedance isn't as well-damped at Fs as I'd prefer. Electrical transfer function looks reasonable also. Case rests, as they say, since this is based on hard data, notwithstanding some modest variation.

Attachments

• modelled.gif
    modelled.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 108
  • transfer function.gif
    transfer function.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Snap!!

I also opened up my logbook. On the two occasions I have used the SB acoustics tweeter it has always been smaller value first, but the logbook shows they got to being equal a few times as iterations were tried, and on one occasion larger first was tried.

Basically they are all variations, and even if a design uses textbook LR, Bessel, Butterworth, Chebyshev, M derived whatever, i can guarantee that once i we start tuning or playing with a design the original alignment to a textbook filter goes.

Your filter designer is nice, I like it.

It works with fixed impedance, which we are not typically dealing with here on the majority of occasions, which you fully understand.

I imagine you have old textbooks with graphs and tables of how to work filter for 600 ohm or 50 ohm applications. :)

Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• snap.png
    snap.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 179
That's interesting -first time I've seen a screenshot from Fine X-over. The PCD7 sim I posted above was using the measured driver impedance, same as yours; the image Steve added looks to be a pure electrical filter assuming a fixed load, but no doubt he'll confirm.

Either way, agreed: there doesn't look to be anything wrong with the electrical topology of the linked high-pass as far as I can make out.

Last edited:
Sort of. So is the original tweeter referenced on this thread actually. The SB26STC-04 is an OEM fabric dome & basically the same as the 26STAC. With the filter under discussion ( https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...2-standmount-speaker-project.html#post5826477 ) it works in a similar way, with roughly 4th order Bessel acoustic slope at roughly 2.25KHz. SPL is about 2.5dB - 3dB higher so would require some adjustment to the level padding. The values could stand a tweak too as the responses aren't precisely the same, but they're in the ballpark. You'd probably lose the R2 shunt, drop L2 a little & increase the value of R1 to trim output level as desired. That's looking at it purely independently, & based on a very quick & dirty sim though, so in practice you'd likely need to make further adjustments to get the system response & phasing where you want it based on the on-baffle measurements.

Last edited: