2-Way Bi-amping, vertical or horizontal, which one is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My speaker cross-over frequency is around 800 Hz. This is about midway in the music frequency range, so it is not surprising that the low frequency amplifiers make such a difference. Having similar amplifiers both top and bottom helps a lot.

pinholer, I'm currently building all SIT SE amp stack for my horn, and crossover is also 800 Hz! :)

I agree with your statement. My summer amp consists of Hypex for woofers and SIT SE for horn driver. Hypex sounds super clean but it lacks class-a weight and depth. I also tested Aleph J with SIT SE, and I find woofer amp is more dominant than tweeter amp, so I decided to build impractically large SIT SE woofer amps that is very similar to my tweeter SE, while PP amp for woofer would be more practical and sensible choice.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
plasnu, I think you will be very happy with a large SIT amp for your woofers. I have THF-51S SE monoblocks for my woofers and am very happy with the bass and the overall sound. I think the bass amps make a bigger difference than the treble amps, especially if the crossover frequency is higher. Consider that middle C on a piano is 262 Hz and the highest note is 4186 Hz.

plasnu, I think you will be very happy with a large SIT amp for your woofers. I have THF-51S SE monoblocks for my woofers and am very happy with the bass and the overall sound. I think the bass amps make a bigger difference than the treble amps, especially if the crossover frequency is higher. Consider that middle C on a piano is 262 Hz and the highest note is 4186 Hz.

I'm looking forward to hear my new woofer amps. I also find even subwoofer amp can be dominant. I have heard some commercial SET+Horn systems with a digital driven subwoofer at audio shows. This combination seems to be popular these days. Those systems sound very good in a way, and I do not dislike them, but they sound nothing but a digital amp with some SET flavor on it, while the dealers were hiding digital amp in the subwoofer cabinet and place fancy looking SET at the center of the room. ;)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was a big tube amp fanatic until I got onto VFETs. However, I did not have any tube amp that was powerful enough for the woofers so I used a Cyrus transistor amp until I replaced it with a Sony TAN-5550 VFET amp.

That Sony amp was a revelation. With it in place, the first thing I noticed was the the lower notes became more "musical". Until then, I had not realized what I had been missing. The THF-51S amps are another step up, with the most obvious improvement being a more powerful bass.

I no longer use my DHT amps and soon my 01A tube preamp will be replaced by a VFET preamp.

Hi ArcticBrew. Of all the systems I've seen here I find yours most interesting and promising. I'm well aware of the AMT's reputation and using 300B SE is the best. Should be a spiritual experience.

On the lows, however, I think this is the area where you can keep experimenting on. I get your choice of PP EL34 but the AMT is not just sensitive its super fast and the fast woofers need to be smaller. Maybe a couple of 8ohm 8" or 6.5" in parallel would be worth trying. They can go down to 30hz easily.

I agree. In my lab/garage I have a pair of Klipsch MTM bookshelf speakers that I am using for low frequencies with a naked AMT for the highs. Another very good combination.

I acquired 4 Altec 416Bs over the last few years and will eventually try them for the lows with the AMT for the highs. Depending on the result I may add a mid bass driver and cross the AMT above 2Khz. This project won't get on the board until next year.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.