2 Position Rotary Switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Mooly

Thank you for the suggestion. The switch body is plastic. I'd be tightening the M10 nut on plastic threads. It wouldn't take much torque to strip the threads.

Also, the shaft appears to be plastic too. Even though it's available with a flatted shaft, I'd be tightening the knob's set screw into plastic. Not good engineering practice, and the plastic shaft would swell and stick in the knob.

So do you think there is metal option for a similar thing?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've not seen a metal one on my travels.

The plastic (nylon) is tough. You won't strip any threads by securely tightening its fixing nut and the set screw would certainly bite into the shaft but it won't deform it. I've never had issues with plastic parts similar to these.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
0.2 amps is a very small current, about the same as a 50 watt mains bulb would draw on 230 volts. And that is an absolute maximum 'resistive' rating.

An on/off switch for an amplifier needs to be rated high enough to withstand not just the steady state current but also the arcing that occurs each time the contacts make and break as they switch the highly inductive load of the transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.