2 or 3 inch voice coil?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just spent some time going over that link Lusk provided...
I notice a couple of sub woofers in the background, but followed a bit of the logic that was being applied.

Whilst the tweeter is capable of going down to 1.5 kHz he added an C-Quenze 18cm driver to help fill the bottom end of the midrange in a bit more. I think seeing his system gave me a bit more perspective of what the tweeter is capable of, and the lower limits, and even if I worked along a similar line to what he has done there it looks like I really don't need to go any smaller than a 7" - 18cm to close the gap to the tweeter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I recommend you study this design:

PRELUDE

It neatly sums up the issues you face designing a 3 way with the AT drivers.

I also strongly recommend, for various reasons, if you are set on the AT drivers, you buy the same ones that Troels has used. Not because they are necessarily the best ones, but because:

1. They are proven to work well together
2. You can incorporate some of this design into your speaker (some tweaking needed for different tweeter)
3. If you have problems with integrating the RAAL you have a fall back position (sell the RAAL's, Buy 9900's and build Troels design)

The benefit of the AT drivers is their reasonably flat and well behaved wide-band response that will make it easier to hit target slopes with youre DSP. I get the feeling you won't be modelling the crossover and exporting the transfer function to the DCN28?

I would stop obsessing over driver sensitivity, multiple and large mids. Keep it simple with a WMT design and it has the potential to be an excellent speaker.

Last edited:
thanks dabbler... Lusk posted this link earlier The Building of a Pure Digital System and it seems to be pretty much on the money. He has already had success with the same 140-15D AM tweeter in an active setup, so I was think about mirroring the drivers he used but with my own cabinets.

Hardly original but he put a lot of effort into getting things right so pointless re-inventing the wheel.

Did a bit of a quick mockup last night in Google Sketchup.
This is an early rendition of what the tweeter cabinet should look like.
Probably round the top and bottom edges, but that is hard to do on a curved surface in Sketchup. Compared to the flatter style they went with.

Attachments

• Tweeter.jpg
    Tweeter.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 3way.jpg
    3way.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
thanks dabbler... Lusk posted this link earlier The Building of a Pure Digital System and it seems to be pretty much on the money. He has already had success with the same 140-15D AM tweeter in an active setup, so I was think about mirroring the drivers he used but with my own cabinets.

Hardly original but he put a lot of effort into getting things right so pointless re-inventing the wheel.

Sounds like a plan to me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.