2.5" driver recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nanl2053 said:

Joe, I am not very familiar with TL designs, Is it just a box with a port in the back or is there more to it?

Hi,

Are you using a sub or not ? If not the NS3 is better than the B3S.

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• aurans3-193.gif
    aurans3-193.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 153
nanl2053 said:

I understand. Certainly don't mean to offend you.

Joe, I am not very familiar with TL designs, Is it just a box with a port in the back or is there more to it?

There's a blurry line between transmission lines and ported boxes. You can read all about them on quarter-wave.com. They're certainly not magic, and there's not a gigantic difference between the performance of the box I posted and a smaller standard ported box.

The chief difference I see is that internal resonances based on wavelength inside the box are accounted for and managed/used in a transmission line, whereas in a ported box they are at best put out of the passband, or at second best suppressed with absorbing material.

If your woofer is playing a frequency that happens to correspond to an internal dimension inside your cabinet, this can lead to frequency response irregularity and energy storage. Since extended bandwidth drivers such as the NS3-193 are likely to excite such resonances, I feel that they are well served by a transmission line enclosure.

Also, regarding the need for the sub- it really depends on how loudly you listen. If I was going to listen to these seated at a desk, I could get by without a sub. If I was going to get up and walk around, they would no longer be able to play loudly enough with sufficient bass to not annoy me at their shortcoming. Still, what do you expect from a 3" driver?

If you need a smaller footprint, make the speakers tall and narrow, or use thinner construction material. Changing the shape of the baffle will have a small effect on overall reponse, especially if you adjust the position of the driver. For example:

ZaphBaffle.jpg

The green line is the Zaph Audio baffle, while the red line is a 4" x 12" baffle with the B3S mounted 4" from the top. You can see that the difference between the two baffles is at most 1db over less than two octaves. All the reflections from your desk, monitor and wall are going to have far far greater impact on response.

NOTE - to make a 4" wide speaker you will need to use 1/2" construction material on the side walls.

Dan

Nathaniel,

A guy who posts under the name of Wolf over on the Parts Express forum uses the NS3-193 in a 4" (1 liter) sealed/stuffed cube w/500uf cap in series with the driver's positive lead. He calls this a passive assist alignment and claims 65 hz response? Might be worth talking to him.

Boone

A guy who posts under the name of Wolf over on the Parts Express forum uses the NS3-193 in a 4" (1 liter) sealed/stuffed cube w/500uf cap in series with the driver's positive lead. He calls this a passive assist alignment and claims 65 hz response? Might be worth talking to him.

I found his post. Sounds interesting but I am skeptical about the 65 hz response. I will try to message him to find out more. Thanks for idea!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.