1st Project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
T-Amp. A Lepai LP 2020A+ costs only $20 (Amazon), sounds great, and if you must have something fancier, you can always get it as the T-amp did not set you back hardly at all. Great to have around to try out new speakers or to use with your mp3 or iPod/Pad. I really like the sound from mine with a good CD player as source.

I have been wanting to get the Topping but wondered if it really is a noticeable difference - I guess yes? The quality of the components are way better I know that, does it sound 5 times better? ;) I guess I will have to cough it up and find out :D

The price goes up exponentially as you search for that last few percent. I have the Potting TP-60 -- MSRP ~$300, street as low as $200. Well worth the price.

Bob

The price goes up exponentially as you search for that last few percent. I have the Topping TP-60 -- MSRP ~$300, street as low as $200. Well worth the price.

Bob

even at the list price, that's still less than some guys wanna spend on power cords -

the TP30 with USB input is such a silly good drop dead easy solution for a small desk-top system (iMac in my case) and definitely beats the sonics of the Lepai

Bought the Topping TP20-MK2 TA2020 Class T Digital Amplifier 25WPC at Parts Express for $99.00 free Shipping.

With a $10 discount coupon the final price was $89.00 Free Shipping. Hope to get the amp before Xmas.

Can't wait to hook up my new speakers!

After initial tests will start the veneering process.

No pictures yet....

What about the Dayton DTA 100a? Does anyone have experience with those compared to Topping?

I have both. The DTA100a uses the TK2050 chip while the TP-60 uses the TA2022 chip. The DTA100a requires and comes with an external SMPS. The TP-60 has an internal power supply that includes two large toroidal transformers.The TP-60 has two switchable inputs ans soft start. It looks and feels like a substantial piece of HiFi equipment. The DTA100a looks and feels like a toy.

Sonicallly, both are pretty much the same. I consider them ~30w/ch into 8ohm. The TP-60 is a bit softer on top and has just a hint of 60Hz hum. I use the DTA100a on the Goldwood H-frames and the TP-60 on the speaker de jour.

Bob

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As long as we are talking about amps, what do you all think of the Sure electronic board amps that use Tripaths? Seem like such a deal - what's the rub? I have tons of 19v 2 amp laptop ps bricks lying around that I was thinking of ganging together to get more current and have cheap power. This 4 channel unit may be a good solution for biamping an OB?
4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board 320-302

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Oh, my. Down the rabbit hole time for you. :D
There is a 15-volume history of the Sure TK2050 boards in the Class D section of DIYAudio.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/143669-sure-electronics-new-tripath-board-tc2000-tp2050.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ath-board-4-100w-class-d-amplifier-board.html
The Cliff Notes summary: that board is a pretty good deal for the money, but there are quirks with it that many have addressed with ad-nauseum tweaking. Two common issues are noise and heat (relatively speaking).
Another option that many forum members have had much success with is hifimediy.com -- also with its own long thread in the Class D section.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/164274-new-tk2050-board.html
http://www.hifimediy.com/
The TK2050-based boards from there are reportedly of a higher quality than the Sure ones. I have an amp I've been using from there (their standard "T2") for 2 years and am utterly satisfied. They also have a 4-channel option.
I also have two Toppings: sausage and green peppers. No, the TP20 and TP22, both of which are excellent, ready-to-go performers.
Good luck! :drink:

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Von.Ah,
Thanks for the pointers to the threads on this board. Good heavens, that's a lot of modding folks are doing, just the caps and chokes would cost more than the main amplifier board. I probably won't mess with it other than provide cooling and befing up caps on input ps. Would my idea of parallel laptop ps bricks work (3 x 2 amp bricks to get equivalent of 6 amps at 19 v)? I will probably have to go down that rabbit hole to find out more...

Bob,
Thanks for the helpful review of both. It sounds like the DTA100a is the way to go if one does not mind the 'toy' look. I am not a fan of 60 Hz hum either despite the fact that toroidals were used. Sometimes spatial separation of ps is best....
Xrk971

The 60Hz hum is only audible with a ear pressed to the speaker. Please note that I use the TP-60 on the tops -- the important speakers.

Bob

Received my Topping today and enjoying my new MLTL + EL 70 for the first time. Sound is really nice and warm. Now...Soft music for 4 hours to loosen up the speakers. The only note is that I would like a little more bass. Since this is my first pair I can't compare with anything else....
Will more stuffing add more bass or should I avoid messing with this?

So far...very HAPPY !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.