1KW power - what do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1000 watt amp

hey charlie
its possible to build the amp, I have done so using 12x pl509,s 850 on the anodes 175 volts on the screens output is 1150 watts and its reliable, all on one chassis the size of a suitcase drives 4 x 18 inch band pass subs and they cant take it! you would need 6k transistor power to do the same.. if interested I can point you in the right direction.

Interesting. I have also made some experiments with PL519, but at lower power level.
What kind of output transformer do you have ?
What is the bias current / tube ?
Can you really get 1150 W without exceeding the max. specified 35 W power dissipation / tube ?
It would be interesting to see the schematic and some photos of the construction.

Interesting. I have also made some experiments with PL519, but at lower power level.
What kind of output transformer do you have ?
What is the bias current / tube ?
Can you really get 1150 W without exceeding the max. specified 35 W power dissipation / tube ?
It would be interesting to see the schematic and some photos of the construction.

Thing is--Plate Rating and Audio....

I'm sure that the Maximum plate rating is exceeded in many amp designs--for short periods only--ie, the peaks of half a cycle of the signal....

Consider also, that Audio isnt a continuous wave, there are huge peaks (bass beats etc) followed by low troughs lasting much longer than the peaks...
(Time to cool down stuff!)

Its the Average Dissipation thats the important factor.

For this reason --OTL amps are possible. These well exceed the max ratings of their valves in many cases, --but they carry on working reasonably reliably....

This is why its never recommended to test amps with sine-waves at Max power for longer than absolutely needed....:)

For the quoted amp--You could probably do it with only 8 PL509/19 (40KG6/6KG6) say, 600V plate and 170V G2, pentode, in B or even AB2 and be reasonably reliable....

--Important with any sweep-tubes is the G2 rating--Keep within That rating, and you pretty much OK--They are very conservatively rated devices--but G2 is rather a low voltage rating to suit its original job...

I'm quite a fan of sweep-tubes (Line Output Valves)--Tough old boots they are!

Last edited:
For the quoted amp--You could probably do it with only 8 PL509/19 (40KG6/6KG6) say, 600V plate and 170V G2, pentode, in B or even AB2 and be reasonably reliable....

My 2xPL519 PP works with 460 V supply, 160 V at g2 and 1k8 OPT.
Max. output power is 170 W.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What I think that is 850 V anyhow optimum for PL519 ?

Last edited:
Just 1KW?

so you want to build a tube system like "The Castle" here is a mini version:

ok, you'll need the tube EQ: TL Audio 5013 on the line stage. the crossover, something like a DBX 234 will work. xover 85 and 2.3K

for one speaker stack (2 for stereo)

1 - 100W mono Tube amp for the horn
1 - 400W mono tube amp (15" mid)
1 - Crown Macrotech 3600, or Crown XLS5000 or QSC5050 or equiv

for the tweeters a 2" compression driver like a Radian 850 8 ohm
for the horns. either DDS CFD 2-90X pro or JBL 2382

for the mids 15": 18 sound 15MB700 or EV 15DL

for the lows, two 18" : EV EVX180B or JBL 2242 (hook up one per channel of the low amp)

1 kw pl509 amp

hi artsalo
the tubes are not operated outside their dissipation quiescent current is set at 20 ma , The ouput tx is a 1 kw unit at 20hz wound in the early seventies and came off an amp which had 8 x tt21,s, its primary impedance is 650 ohms perfect for 12x pl509 its basically a 10" cube to give an idea of the size the tubes swing 260 ma just prior to clip and the supply voltage drops to 795 volts I could push the screens harder say 185 volts. Have tried at 205 volts and the amp was unstable so 200 watts a pair is about max for reliable operation, I mean hours on end at full tilt and regularly driven into overdrive clipping it does run 4 x 1000 watt 6th order band pass subs.

Or you can go with 20 kt88s and readily available hammond output transformers like I did...

359067d1373380966-200-500-watt-tube-amp-project-imag1281.jpg

1 kw pl509 amp

hey wolfpunk which hammond transformers have you used I assume that you have them in parallel. See a pic of mine attached, built into an old chassis, you can see the size of the output transformer with the el 509 next to it, have since rebuilt the power supply as the 4 amp mains tx was not up to it...now has a 6amp supply with 10,000 mf of capacitance, your chassis is very crisp, I will get around to something similar The power supply is on a separate chassis I assume do you have a photograph of it?.

Attachments

• DSCF0533.jpg
    DSCF0533.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 98
Philips 6471 Monster Amp

Just google the "phillips el6471" this monster runs on 230 volt mains, has a 3000 volt anode and weighs in at just over 350 pounds. Not exactly portable but it just shows that it can and has been done. True this is a monoblock so you would need 2 of them but hey, go big or go home right? She sure is pretty though. Phillips, disturbing the peace since 1953.

The old Philips amp need a three phase power supply 127/220V or 220/380V (230/400V which is the normal european power supply).

The max. input power is 2,2kW . I saw this amp once at a radio rally in the Netherlands some years ago. The asking price for it was 800 EUR . I haggled with myself to purchase this amp from this fellow. But finally I don´t. I not really have a need for it. It is nice to have but its heavy . I got many others amps. I copied recently the McIntosh MC-3500 (see thread) and I still have the both Siemens 250W amps with 6 EL34, the 6S ela 2796.

I work a while on a Bass amp with 6 GU50, in B2 with 1000V plate and 300V g2. It drives 400W into the load with 5% thd. There is another guy here in germany who made the same. He already finished his project. Nice work.

To build such amps has nothing to do with enonomics or good sense. It´s just fun . why... I can..

So guys, dont ask way , have fun to build such an monster and keep it running.

Wolfgang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.