1kHz bandpass filter for azimuth adj?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy, I would like to adjust the head on a Marantz 5030 deck I got. I am going to make a 10kHz tape on another deck (Pioneer CT-F1250 that sounds perfect) with my newly acquired HP 8903B. The setup calls for a 1kHz bandpass filter to do it. Could I just route the output into the 8903 and watch the voltage there? Never did this before so any input, feel free.

Attachments

• Head adjustment.png
    Head adjustment.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 64
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You don't need anything fancy to set the azimuth. Simply monitor the audio output (of your 10kHz tape) and tweak for maximum level of both channels.

And do a reality check. Record some music (with good hf content) on the reference deck and then play this on the deck to be adjusted. Using headphones carefully set the azimuth for best hf content in the replay. Check the setting by using your 10kHz tape and you'll find it pretty much identical.

All the filter does is take noise out of the replayed signal which make it easier to see and also easier for the scope to trigger on. Unless the parts in the filter are identical L vs R then that alone could cause you to set the azimuth incorrectly.

I use a recorded hiss for azimuth adjustment. Rec level up, Dolby off, source: mic, no signal input. It is very easy to adjust by ear. More accurate is using a calibrating tape 10 kHz signal, and feed the L and R signal to the X and Y inputs of an oscilloscope. Goal is a straight line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.