17 year cicadas: 94.4dB on my porch in Chicago

They’re HEEEEERE.
IMG_0165.png

Spectrum is centered around 6KHz.

They started popping out of the ground a week ago. A force of nature like nothing you’ve ever seen. Millions of them.

Same thing 17 years ago. But now a couple hours south of here we ALSO have 13 year cicadas. Both broods occur together only one every 221 years. Thomas Jefferson was president last time this happened.
IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They’re HEEEEERE.
View attachment 1314343

They started popping out of the ground a week ago. A force of nature like nothing you’ve ever seen. Millions of them.

Same thing 17 years ago. But now a couple hours south of here we ALSO have 13 year cicadas. Both broods occur together only one every 221 years. Thomas Jefferson was president last time this happened.
View attachment 1314344

View attachment 1314345
Supposedly it tastes like chicken...

Reactions: 1 users
I live in rural Missouri. Went for a bicycle ride through a wooded area the other day, could not believe how loud they were. Away from the trees, there is a constant murmer that sounds like a Cold War Era science fiction movie. I keep expecting giant ants to march over the horizon.

They’re HEEEEERE.
View attachment 1314343

View attachment 1314344

View attachment 1314345
Move to the city. I haven’t heard one yet in the West Loop :)

(It’s basically impossible to measure speakers outdoors here at any time, admittedly.)

The noise in our neighborhood was amazing, though I doubt it got to 94db.

I felt like the noise had two components to it, one higher pitched than the other. The higher component seemed to be steady. The lower component sounds like it goes up and down, a lot like the delay pedal at the end of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android."

Anyway, thanks for posting the db meter and great pics. I know they're harmless but those red eyes are disturbing.

The noise in our neighborhood was amazing, though I doubt it got to 94db.

I felt like the noise had two components to it, one higher pitched than the other. The higher component seemed to be steady. The lower component sounds like it goes up and down, a lot like the delay pedal at the end of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android."

Anyway, thanks for posting the db meter and great pics. I know they're harmless but those red eyes are disturbing.
There is a 6khz sound from an accordion-like mechanism similar to a flex straw being stretched and compressed; and a 1.5khz timbal sound. Different mechanisms.

This video explains it:

The whole video is cool but you can see how they make that sound at about 10:00

Aural massage
And for the audio amateur...
It's nice experiencing 1) interaural distance 2) ear position 3) moving of the head 4) direct/reflected sound (needs a wall) 5)scattered sources all around
All those related to the wavelengths involved, and...no earplugs!
Earplugs??

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yup, I remember how bad they were in South side of Chicago in 1973....I was at a family reunion and I managed to fill a Dunkin Doughnut sized box full of them and brought them home....I left box in basement and they all got out - they were everywhere - molting on drapes, crunching under your feet on carpet....parents / siblings were so angry as no-one slept for a week and a half. And the beating I got....terrible....but I deserved it!

We moved out in 1976, but I'm pretty sure no-one slept in that house for those two weeks in June in 1990, 2007 or this year either.... kinda makes for a great story tho.

Thanks Perry for the informative video. I waste too much time on Youtube but I hadn't seen that guy before.

Besides, I feel validated that I really was hearing two different sounds. Though I still don't understand why the lower one sounded to me like it was alternating (oscillating?) between two frequencies -- on the video, both sounds seemed pretty steady. Maybe it was subjective, possibly even related to the phenomena that pico listed...