• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

150W Garage sale find.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ya Know,

We attend estate auctions nearly every weekend throughout the spring summer and fall.
I dont know how many of you guys ever do this, but often, she spots some pretty cool stuff on these hay wagons. At least 6 times shes found me loaded tube caddies! 2 weeks ago she got me a 1948 bakelite jewel tube am radio in mint condition for $2.00

She's truely a bargan hunter. And your right, A Keeper all the way!

Gene

:cheerful:

Giaime said:
Good to hear that!

btw you said you found a 6550 quartet: what brand? NOS?

Antique Radio Supply has Valve Art 6550A's on sale until june 15th for $15.95 each, $1.25 per tube more if you want them to match them.

So, an unmatched quad is $63.80 + SH

Im not especially familar with valve art other than I see them on ebay alot, often for more than new price. But Hey as long as they work long enough to run this amp a bit and determine if it sounds fair, GREAT. At least I know they are new and not DOA unlike alot of ebay's cr@p.

Oddly my buddy out here has about 25,000 tubes in his hobby area/listening room/tube room. He only has 2 1/2 quads of nos GE's and I couldnt pry them out of his tube greedy hands.

I figure I really need to change he sockets for these tubes anyway, It looks like the tubes were gone long ago by the aging and greeness of the contacts. So, if ups take 7-9 days, No biggie, I will just take my sweet time.

The other sockets look new, but they also have the original mullards still in place.

Gene

Valve Art used to make great tubes, maybe not directly for instrument amps but they're great for hi-fi. I remember that they select and match and then rebrand chinese tubes, but you know, now chinese ones are very good... I've done a test with a china 6L6GC, put 800V on the plate, 500V on the screen, let 100mA flow :hot: and you know what? Only slight red plating. It did it for an entire week, day and night. It never broked. After that the tube was a little bit exhausted, but it survived. I didn't know a tube that can do this...

Yes change the sockets: when dirty, they cause arcing, but I'm sure you know that... :smash:

Goodbye!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.