15" Woofer Choice for K-402 based MEH

Hi all..

Looking for 2 x15" woofers for a 2-way K-402 based MEH. Would like the following specs:

8 olm with a free air resonance around 25-35 Hz and a Qts of 0.25-0.3

Found 11 here:

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/search/15.0_size_in_15.0/8_z_8/25_fs_35/0.25_qts_0.30

I've modeled a couple in Hornresp (see below) that seem readily available in the US.

My questions are: 1. Can someone double check my input parameters to make sure I'm modeling these correctly for a MEH? ...and 2. If #1 is satisfied, what are you favorites of the ones below and why (I'm trying to learn)? ...and 3. Are there other woofers I should consider not on the list above?

I really hope the Dayton one will work as it's the cheapest option... they all look really similar to me :confused:

K-402 Horn w/ TAD 4002

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002.jpeg

K-402 horn with two Eminence KAPPA PRO-15LF-2 15" woofers-Total Power

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_1.jpeg

K-402 horn with two Eminence KAPPA PRO-15LF-2 15" woofers - Displacement

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_2.jpeg

K-402 horn with two Eminence KAPPA PRO-15LF-2 15" woofers - Input Correct?

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_3.jpeg

K-402 horn with two Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" woofers - Total Power

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_4.jpeg

K-402 horn with two Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" woofers - Displacement

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_5.jpeg

K-402 horn with two Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" woofers - Input correct?

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_6.jpeg

Here is a couple more I modeled:

-402 horn with two B&C Speaker 15TBX100 15" woofers - Power Response

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002.jpeg

K-402 horn with two B&C Speaker 15TBX100 15" woofers - Displacement

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_1.jpeg

K-402 horn with two B&C Speaker 15TBX100 15" woofers - Input

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_2.jpeg

K-402 horn with two FaitalPRO 15FH510 15" woofers - Power

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_3.jpeg

K-402 horn with two FaitalPRO 15FH510 15" woofers - Displacement

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_4.jpeg

K-402 horn with two FaitalPRO 15FH510 15" woofers - Input

K-402 Horn w TAD 4002_5.jpeg

The Faital 15FH510 would be my choice, it has good overall performance for the money and the mounting depth is fairly shallow compared to other drivers. I've used these in a few vented 2 way builds with 2" driver crossed at 900 hz. Fairly efficient too and goes pretty low in a reasonable sized cab.

You are showing 4 drivers connected in parallel (4P) in the ME1 records. Shouldn't it be 2 drivers?
I was under the impression that if you have two ports per woofer that you have to model it this way? I’m very new to modeling however and won’t pretend I know what I’m doing yet… particularly when you wrote the software! Please let me know the right way of doing it…

Didn't ChrisA/Cask05 use the Crites in his K402 MEH?
I don't really think the driver matters all that much in this application unless you need a lot of EQ applied passively to get it flat.
He did... he is also the one that suggested a 8 olm woofer would likely work better hence my due diligence here. The more I look at it however, the more I think the Crites are the best choice in terms of price and the fact that they model really well compared to the other six or so I've looked at. I have a Crown XLS 1502 that I'm thinking of using to drive the woofers so should have enough juice to drive them I think?

I was under the impression that if you have two ports per woofer that you have to model it this way?
For two woofers with two ports per woofer,

In the Nd record:

Set Nd = 2P

In the ME1 record:

Specify a throat chamber with Atc = 2 * Sd and set Vtc to an appropriate volume.
Specify a throat port and set the port area equal to the total area of the four ports.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
I’ve got a k402 MEH currently with eminence kappa 15a. I’m wondering about others. It’s so much about the room below 200hz. I get very different bass curves between 1 meter and listening position. Wondering if Acoustic Elegance really would give lower distortion and better articulation? I get down to 30 hz, so I’m not looking to get lower, just looking to get tighter and more articulate sound.
Also heard great reports of Faital 15pr400

In the Nd record:

Set Nd = 2P

In the ME1 record:

Specify a throat chamber with Atc = 2 * Sd and set Vtc to an appropriate volume.
Specify a throat port and set the port area equal to the total area of the four ports.
Thanks for the lesson! I'm now going to try and figure out what to use for the throat port and Vtc... I have some more learning to do!

I’ve got a k402 MEH currently with eminence kappa 15a. I’m wondering about others. It’s so much about the room below 200hz. I get very different bass curves between 1 meter and listening position. Wondering if Acoustic Elegance really would give lower distortion and better articulation? I get down to 30 hz, so I’m not looking to get lower, just looking to get tighter and more articulate sound.
Also heard great reports of Faital 15pr400
I just got back from a road trip to Hope, AR where I picked up a pair of K-402's at the factory. Got a private tour of the museum and heard some rather nice sounding vintage Klipsch systems while there. Pretty cool! While I was driving all over the world I gave Crite's Speakers a call and asked if they had any of the cast frame 15's in stock...which they did so I drove over and picked up 4. Guess that means I made my choice...

When you cut your holes in your 402's how did you go about it? I've read how Chris did it but I'm still unsure the best way to locate where the holes go and best practices for cutting them. Any advice?

In the Nd record:

Set Nd = 2P

In the ME1 record:

ERROR CORRECTION
I don't know what I was thinking when I posted the above :).
I should have said set ME1 = 2P in the ME1 record, not set Nd = 2P in the Nd record.
My apologies for any confusion caused.

Reactions: 2 users
When you cut your holes in your 402's how did you go about it? I've read how Chris did it but I'm still unsure the best way to locate where the holes go and best practices for cutting them. Any advice?
I've mocked up my K402 MEH following Chris' method and will do slightly longer narrower ports. I'll position my hole saw from the inside for precise placement and drill a pilot hole from the inside through the horn and already mounted woofer pad, then, secure about position, with horn secured/clamped drill the holes through from the outside.

Glad to hear CRITES is still around. Last time I tried to go to the website it looked like they were giving up.

I followed Chris A's lead and built a pair of these using the CRITES woofers.

I do not think there is a best way to make the holes in the K402s but I found mistakes are easily corrected using JB WELD and sheets of card stock.

If you go too far tape some card stock on one side of the horn and fill with JB WELD. When it dries you can sand it to the shape you desire.

I went too far wih two of my holes and this did the job.

One does get nervous cutting into those expensive horns - though they are worth every penny. No need to fret - they are fixable though it does take time for the JB WELD to fully dry and one application is never enough.

I made my holes right at the corners of the horn. I then used LOTS of JB WELD to make a larger plane for the woofer plate to be set against.

On the side of the plate facing the woofers I made a very large transition area to the holes with the edge of the hole very thin. AS close to a knife edge as baltic birch would allow.

Obviously the transition area is limited to the area facing the center of the woofer.

This advice was given by the great GM to whom I am ALMOST as grateful as I am to Chris A for loudspeaker of a qualiuty I never thought I would own.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users