15" tapped horn with RCF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Stewin
I am unfamiliar with the way that that the filter values have been calculated in that circuit.
Generally I tend to use a butterworth filter for the Hi pass on a sub.
I found a filter calculator on line
Online Calculator .:. Active Butterworth Highpass Filter Calculator
with the 68n capacitor in the circuit the resistor values seem quite high, I would probably recalculate this with a bigger value capacitor if you can fit them on the PCB.
Regards Xoc1

Attachments

• 24db butterworth 35.jpg
    24db butterworth 35.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 629
Hi Stewin
According to the LR calculator the for the 35Hz filter using 63nF, R is 47K and 2R is 94K
In your schematic R is 47K but 2R you have made 23.5K You need to link the 47K resistors in series not parallel to make the 94K value.
To measure your crossover you could download HOLMImpulse
HOLM Acoustics
This will give you the means with a computer audio output and input to measure the frequency response of your filter.
Regards Xoc1

Attachments

• 35 LR HP 24db.JPG
    35 LR HP 24db.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 588
OK, I really like this project and applaud all the work that has gone into it.....but when I look at the Frequency response graphs, they look like the same I get from my sealed subwoofers. So, what is gained by the more difficult cabinets? Good job all the same.

OK, I really like this project and applaud all the work that has gone into it.....but when I look at the Frequency response graphs, they look like the same I get from my sealed subwoofers. So, what is gained by the more difficult cabinets? Good job all the same.

A single sealed sub is not going to compete with a single th sub. In its simplest form, a th enclosure has 1 more board than a sealed enclosure and A LOT more output. A well designed th can have more output than 4-8 sealed subs of the same speaker. The sealed subs will require 4-8 times more amplifier output too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.