15" OHP proj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is my first project. It's a simple LCD (Benq 557v2) over an OHP (Liesegang trainer deluxe 400). It's an halogenous 400W (5000 lumen).
Please let me know your suggestions...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, I used it in Pal version and it is quite good... but it seems to have some problems with red images. Don't know why, but black borders near red zones causes a "noise" on the black.
To say it honestly, the image quality is not as good as a vga on the lcd panel, but when projected on the screen it blurs and it's not noticeable.
The enclosure is the next step, but the majority of light leaks come from ventilation holes of the OHP itself.

In parallel ... I got a power adaptor with 3-12v variable output.
This answer the question? 'cause I'm not sure I had understood it...

FOR EVERYBODY:
The line doubler is a real ****. I finally tried bypassing it and playing a dvd on pc directly to the lcd via vga. Image quality is SUPERB and I feel like is comparable to most of the LCD projector I see they sell in stores for 1.000 € (except lumen output... but in a dark room I don't see any difference).

Hope to take picture next time I try, so you can see the difference too.

Ok, here is the update I promised... made the same photos where possible. As you can see, direct VGA connection rocks. Xga converter simply can't....
Some image is very bright , but the light is due tof the "night mode" on my camera...

What about the lifespan of the lamps used? They sure seem to be cheap at first glance but when you consider that they only last for about 50 hours it becomes quite expensive over time, comparable to "real" projector lamps which cost a lot more though last for 1000 of hours and more...

Your thoughts on this?

Yeah, using OHP bulbs adds up in the long run.

Wow, just did the math and it really is crazy to use OHP bulbs.

A 400w HQI Metal Halide Kit is ~215 on diyprojectorcompany.com. bulbs are $30 each (the kit has one) and they last 10,000 hrs.
An OHP bulb for my Dukane 4003 lasts ~50hrs and costs 10$.
So to get 10,000 hrs from my OHP i would need to spend $2,000.
Not worth it. I got an OHP just for my first attempt. Im all ready planning a PSOne projector inside an old computer case. hopefully it will be nice and portable.

fan setup

I'm finally getting around to setting up my OHP and I'm looking at the pics Abner posted at the very beginning of this thread. It looks to me like his fans are only blowing on top of teh LCD is that right? Also is that OK? The only reason I ask is that I'm pretty sure in the THG article they talk about leaving a space for air to blow between teh LCD and your glass.

Thanks,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.