15 inch woofers: which have low moving mass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

It seems that the lowest moving mass for a 15 inch (38cm) woofer is about 70 grams or so. I've read here and there that some Altecs (including copies from GPA and Inosic) achieve an Mms of around 50-55 grams (including airload?).

What is the lowest moving mass value you know of, for a 15 inch woofer still manufactured, and which model would that be ?

Thanks for your help.

@Tinitus: thanks for these hints! The Supravox are indeed one of the best options I've found so far due to other excellent parameters (high Qm, low Fs etc.)

@AndrewT: I'd like to do some further experiments with 15'' woofers whose paramaters promise a good, dry bass "slam" even at reasonable sound levels (in a classical enclosure i.e. without using bass horns). In the past, I've been enquiring about the lowest possible Rms (mechanical resistance) value but was not very successful so far (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131739&highlight= ).

GM

Joined 2003
Altec/GPA 515-8G has a Hornresp calculated Mmd in the ~39-42 g range based on measured specs. I imagine the ultra expensive GOTOs should be even less. The trade-off for such a low Mmd though is it's a mid-bass horn driver, so doesn't make any bass to speak of unless driven with a high output impedance and even then not a lot since it has a relatively high Fs.

GM

elac310 said:
@Tinitus: thanks for these hints! The Supravox are indeed one of the best options I've found so far due to other excellent parameters (high Qm, low Fs etc.)

@AndrewT: I'd like to do some further experiments with 15'' woofers whose paramaters promise a good, dry bass "slam" even at reasonable sound levels (in a classical enclosure i.e. without using bass horns). In the past, I've been enquiring about the lowest possible Rms (mechanical resistance) value but was not very successful so far (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131739&highlight= ).

"Dry bass" isn't due to a low mms
"dry bass" is due to wide bandwidth.

Not coincidentally, woofers with a low mms often have wide bandwidth.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too, look for a woofer with low inductance and wide/flat response.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ass-drivers-any-suggestions-2.html#post783148

Patrick Bateman said:

"Dry bass" isn't due to a low mms
"dry bass" is due to wide bandwidth.[/url]

Actually, as presented, it's neither. ;) It's due to how over-damped the alignment is which with a typical sealed or vented alignment equates to a rising response one whether created by either a low Qts driver and/or increasing stuffing density and/or some other form of EQ, i.e. a 'fast' bass alignment.

The more over-damped it is, the 'dryer' it is and why typically highly damped compression horns are played much louder than folks realize since they let distortion set the upper limit. Just look at a typical DIY tapped horn, it has a low BW and needs both a high Mms and inductance for best performance in the (sub) woofer BW, yet as has been proven has a very accurate ('dry') sounding bass.

GM

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• pd 153er.jpg
    pd 153er.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,211
John Sheerin said:
Sd 940
BL 38.24

:bigeyes: Wow! What a motor! :eek:

Say, OTOH, among all the pro drivers, I found the 'lesser' ones tend to be more efficient, even by their lesser motors. Moving mass should play a key role here. And maybe such drivers are more suitable in home use where the ultimate (and/or sustained) SPL isn't needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.