15" Enclosure Recommendation for Maggie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given a 15" Magnavox woofer taken from a console or Imperial speaker, as it is the one used in that speaker. Part No. 581521-1 Serial No. 67-7234

I was thinking of building a sub with it, but since I have no specs I don't know the needed volume. I know these are popular vintage woofers, and many of you might have experience with them. Can someone recommend enclosure volume? I guess sealed would be best.

I might be wrong, but I believe a good sub can be built using the Magnavox. You are right by putting in quotes the word subwoofer, because after all it is just a woofer that plays as you described. I don't need to get down to 20Hz, though that Maggie was putting some serious bass when it was playing in an OB speaker system.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, I 'rescued' quite a few of these from '50s - '60s mono, stereo consoles and all were high Qt with a Fs around 60 Hz with output down to ~40 Hz, so no sub driver and best suited for the same console size/semi-open back construction they were removed from or a large TL tuned for output in room to around 40 Hz.

I remember using a whole 4 x 8 ft plywood panel for two with open bottoms and spaced up as required. Normally I put whatever other drivers came with them on top and aimed up/down as required, so the woofer was near the top.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.