12V DC/DC for amplifier. Current limiting?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Don't really see why they would say that. It is cheaper and you make any size. I and many others do it just like that, Ok maybe not that many of that small wire, but still. What did you use to remove lacquer? Some chemical?

Few day ago I did my trafo with 2x 12 of 0.5mm for primarys and 2x4 of same wire for sec. to get +/-47Vdc.

What freq. will you use, and for that power?

whoa said:
primaries are 2x3turns of my diy litz wire, which is made of 135piece 0.25Cu wire, 6.5mm2 in total for each

some says i'm an idiot to do this :)

secondaries are 2x11turns wound from the same 0.25Cu material, but here only 30 are spun for the wire...

You are not an idiot at all, you are just far more patient than most people (including me). I don't know your target operating frequency, but be aware that using such a thin magnet wire in a toroid in the typical 30 to 60Khz frequency range is a true overkill. Diameters between 0.5mm and 1mm are usually enough for that purpose.

For this psu the operating freq is 66kHz, so using so thin wire for winding has absolutely no sense at all, except two things. First is i don't have to worry about the skin effect and the other is that it's much more easy to work with this construcion of wire instead of for example multiple 1mm wires.
Not to mention that i only have of this material at home so i had no other chance :)

Designed power is about 350-400W but we will see how it performs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.