• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The issue is muddied a bit by guitarists, who value distortion over fidelity, and mostly can't conceive of soldering a wire.

They actually do swap around tubes just because the sockets are the same and the names are similar, particularly if they vaguely recall some lore.

This stuff is magic to them, and they will go right ahead and replace a 12ax7 with a 12av, 12ay, 12at, even 12au without changing anything else, and run with it if it makes a noise they like.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

The issue is muddied a bit by guitarists, who value distortion over fidelity, and mostly can't conceive of soldering a wire.

They actually do swap around tubes just because the sockets are the same and the names are similar, particularly if they vaguely recall some lore.

This stuff is magic to them, and they will go right ahead and replace a 12ax7 with a 12av, 12ay, 12at, even 12au without changing anything else, and run with it if it makes a noise they like.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Sorta like 'bikers' that change the pipes on their bikes without re-jetting the carburetor or re-programming the fuel injection?

Sorta like 'bikers' that change the pipes on their bikes without re-jetting the carburetor or re-programming the fuel injection?

Perhaps. I'm less well versed in small engines. I mean, understand that a motorcycle works on the same principles as a car, but I'm used to really long exhaust systems.

I almost understand the concept of scavenging wrt exhaust systems, and I'm fully aware that on a modern computer controlled turbo efi car, if you slap on a high flow exhaust without reprogramming the ecu, it will actually cost you torque.

So yeah, i guess so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.