12 inch full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be willing to bet the AN 12 might be pretty sweet run nice n easy, on an open baffle. If I read those woefully reproduced spex, the Qts=.58 which lands it squarely into that territory. With the big diameter you get a bigger sound, and if you have to supplement with some little tweetster, so what? It has a ~decent Xmax of almost 2mm, and if you had a PCI card with PEQ, you could do well to add some gravitas. Well tweaked contouring can make more difference than what speaker, what amp, what source, often.

I never thought I would say that about anything coming from THAT website, but hey, science requires an open mind.:clown:

Now if we could have something like that in HempTone flavor...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cheers

Originally posted by enzedone my fostex 127 sound may be described as beamed, but only at high volumes, I am pretty sure it is a distortion.
shouldn't larger diameter speaker distort less if played at same volume as smaller speaker?

Yes a larger driver will tend to be able to play louder before it gives up... this a function of how much air they can shift as you turn the wick up...

The stock FE127 has some rough edges particularily as the voulme increase that are dramatically mitigated with the appropriate treatment. With some small expenditure on damar & puzzlecoat, wool-felt, duct-seal and.or something like SR-2000 (latex paint-on damping for the boat-building industry -- i haven't talked about this for modding yet, but we are very happy with our research0 and a little TLC on your 127s you'll be able to get a lot more out of them than you are... And an enclosure like Harvey would maximize the dynamic capabilities at higher volumes. I'd be very surprised if any 8, 10, or 12" (of reasonable price -- let's use your $500) has any chance of doing mids & tops as well as the modded FE127.

dave

Re: Cheers

enzedone said:
This will be a one shot deal for me. I don't live in Europe or the US where your dollar has so much buying power. I can't afford to buy something, get it down here & then find out it is cheap rubbish. And then turn around and just go buy another pair...
PS $200US would be about $500 by the time I landed them here, with the huge postage costs.

Well with the NZ$ an all time high against the US$ now is the time to buy!

If you really want to play safe I would very strongly recomend a Fostex FE168EZ in BIB cab. I am getting bass out of these beauties that I prefer to my IB mounted Adire Shiva subs. But its all around what you want from a speaker. If bass is the be all and end all then maybe the Fostex 8" drivers are a better bet.

As for a "one shot deal" - I honestly don't see that as being in the nature of DIY audio ;-)

Good luck,
Chris

I also run Calrad 12AE in OB & have for quite a while now. D. Mason also runs the Calrad 12 A in OB. At least did the last time I talked with him. It really is a good OB driver & for the money I dought it can be beat for a true FR driver. I run nothing with mine & is in a 2nd & or 3rd system driver by a fine tube amp & tube tuner for source mostly. I think I have 60.00 in my pair..1 was NOS
They also revived my intrest in Alnico drivers & have since went all alnico in all my OB systems, & all have Coral OEM FR drivers, PIM -8L etc....

I was just again looking at the Audio Nirvana 'Super 12 Cast Frame', which is $248/pr. It looks like they no longer sell a stamped frame, but have all cast frames.

I didn't see this review anywhere here. But if Affordable Audio is anywhere near honest, the review they gave the Super 12, is quite nice.

And if you consider, the total cost is for a pair of drivers, which comes out just under $125 each.

I'll keep looking around, but I'm beginning to really like this driver. The Super 12 "Neodymium", and "Alnico" are just a bit beyond my range. Besides, at my age, my hearing is not what it used to be, so the $800/pr of the later two may well be lost on me anyway.

a few here found the an12 hard to listen to, especially on rock.
But at $250/pair, it is an option.

9 page thread on notching an an12, interesting read.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/154897-audio-nirvana-super-12-cast-frame-measured-t-s.html
but maybe with a 10 band eq (no notchs), it could play nice.

I'm interested in this driver.

Guys like the 12lta without dust cap and added a phase plug over on the fullrangedriver forum.
if phase plug 12lta, still need that notch ckt ? (Page 1) / FullRangeDriver Forum / Fullrangedriver Forum

and there were interesting measurements on the 12lta when cutting off dust cap here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/179161-beta-12lta-3cf-box-port-size-10.html

Norman

a few here found the an12 hard to listen to, especially on rock.
But at $250/pair, it is an option.

Norman

Norman, do you know what they mean by "hard to listen to"? Is it the low end, or the fact it isn't a Cerwin-Vega?

I'm asking this because I really don't understand.

As a disclaimer, I own a pair of C-V D7s, which I purchased in 1985. Best rock speakers ever made. Even better than D9s, which are not as tight as D7s.

Are you likely to see a bad review on the importer's site?

Bob

Bob, two things here:

First, do you know anyone who never 'crows' about something he/she did? Have you never proclaimed something you did and are proud of doing? My outlook is to take these things with a grain of salt, but not automatically deem them lies. And do you tend to tell everyone bad news about yourself?

Second, there are many problems with the English language. One of them is the constant bastardization of words, such as "disrespect". But by far the most damaging IMO is the over zealous use of ACRONYMS for practically everything.

A great example of this is your use of the acronym 'AN'. Pardon me for not being as proficient at the jargon as you, but could you please enlighten me to what I am supposed to know here about what 'AN' means?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.