12 Hz tapped pipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I finally got my laptop working and used the fantastic designs offered by Brian Steele and others to create what is probably a slightly insane idea of my own. It sacrifices a little bit of efficiency to offer a little more infrasound extension from the other designs, but should be fun to build! I humbly offer it to be dissected by the brilliant minds in this group. For what it's worth, I am already aware that the in-room response will not exactly follow the sim response and, yes, I am aware that the woofers magnet will require some sort of cutout to the wall behind it. The woofer in question is the same Dayton (Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm) I discussed before. Also, I apologize for the rough pencil drawing... I ain't got one of them, thar, fancy CAD thingys right now...:( Anyhow, enjoy!

Attachments

• 20190813_161202.jpg
    20190813_161202.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 506
  • Smaller Uber.jpg
    Smaller Uber.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Smaller Uber_Acoustical Power.jpg
    Smaller Uber_Acoustical Power.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 511
Hmmmm... I copied them directly from the spec sheet, but I gather I must have missed something if you're bringing it up. I will take a look!

Never 'Buy' the Advertised Parameters(In prior befor use: Cross-Calculate all Parameter Numbers) from any Driver Manufacturer Company as they are almost always suffer from Rounding off Errors* and if a ZR Graph is attached it should be conforming with the given T/S Parameters too as the Semi-Parameters are important if Le is Large.

*Advantage for Sales and Number Eye-Candy for any Layman that will inscribe the T/S without hesitate.

b:)

I came up with a refolding of my original idea. If I count right, it will reduce the bends by about half, simplify the build overall and maintain the same basic size and shape. The only odd thing is that I will be venting the terminus out of the sides of the box. Oh yeah... and I will have a little more fun figuring out how to deal with the magnet... :headbash: I attached a rough sketch of the new idea that I drew in Paint as well as the original pencil drawing for the sake of comparison.

Attachments

• Tapped pipe redesign.png
    Tapped pipe redesign.png
    5 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190813_161202.jpg
    20190813_161202.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 207
Which is why I was banging my head ;) I need to extract the woofer from it's current home and make some measurements to determine exactly how I will handle that little issue, but I know it can be done. I might even do something like the attached image, if need be. If done right, it will add a little interest to the front of this monolithic object!

Attachments

• Tapped pipe redesign.png
    Tapped pipe redesign.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 160
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.