10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for the info X and Zman,

It seems like the door is wide open for choices for the full ranger. I assume it does not matter if the FR is 4 ohm or 8 ohm?. I am sure like most folks, I look for the best bang for the buck, but in this case, from all the comments, I may be influenced by the higher quality(ie sensitivity, dB, frequency, etc) and hence the higher price tag.

The only caveat to the above: my old ears are not as good as they used to be, so may not be able to appreciate the higher frequencies that others may hear. tough decision!!

MM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Same XO for sealed and TL. The BOM has a typo. You need 6x 2.2uF caps as two are used for the 4.4uF value.

656203d1515700364-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-xrk971-10f-rs225-fast-schematic-jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the R4 is how I showed the Coils’s DCR. Xsim allows you to include as part of the inductor but it doesn’t show up on the schematic which is why I put it separately.

There is a possible trick here that might save money and increase bass sensitivity.

Use a 4mH straight iron core inductor. They are much less expensive and DCR is only about 0.44ohm. You might gain a whole 1.5dB of extra bass sensitivity. Iron core is not necessarily bad.

I bought a couple to try out - but too lazy to pull my speaker apart to try.

Dayton Audio 4.0mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor Crossover Coil

Last edited: