100w amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw someone mentioned st151 amp. It looks like cheap amp to build with any kind of material. Maybe is still to complicated and too expensive, I don't know. Jaycee has made good point mentioned good old 2N3055. What about an amp using only NPN transistors. It will be easier to find something really cheap. Even something pulled from computer psu should work....Yea yea I know that it has nothing to do with good amplification but these transistors can handle(some of them) enough of power and can handle high voltage....Just an idea. Once i use some of these and if I remember correct they come from such psu......don't kill me I know they are not some thermal track :)
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/mospec/2SC3306.pdf

If it's a simple 100 watt circuit your after try this one, it can be used with supply rails up to 55 volts... It's Dave Goodmans mosfet amp very easy to build and will give 100w at 8 ohm and 150w at 4 ohm use... there's so many circuits out there on the net to choose from and will work just nice...

Hi
You might want to consider using a bridge circuit with pairs of 2N3055/MJ2955 in each. A pair (2x 2N3055/ 2x MJ2955) will give you 100W into 4 ohms from +- 35V rails and a bridge will give you 200W into 8 ohms.
Can you get MJ21193/MJ21194? They'd make a good 100W/8 ohm amp (singles). Suitable drivers are 2SC2238, 2SA968; 2SC4793/2SA1837 or MJE15032/MJE15033.

John

A Mistake there . Corrected for those who don't get inception .
If i remember closely MJ21193 is able to output 400W @ 4 ohm .
( And it might be able to do 2ohm safely ) not sure about that , but 4 ohm is safest for me , don't wanna go any lower or boundaries would just dissapear .
-separate topic-
Are there any 100W 2Ohm stable FET's / BJT's out there ?
I would like to have one , as bridging them means 200W 4 ohm -yum-

Hi blindmole,

May be I know how circuits sound in relation with anything else in the audio chains, and I know what I like. But how the hell I know what you like???

If you consider the P3A, consider also the Baby Aksa and DX amps (whichever is easier for you).

But I'm sorry that I have to question your "must be above 100W" requirement. Don't you know that we are not using 100W from a 100W amp? Just make sure you have big transformer as if your amp is 300W :D (because you may make a mistake by choosing 100W++ design but using inferior power supply)

thanks for reply. so now I will try to make this amplifier. i have pcb and all tranzistors i can get and this amplifier is very cheap. thanks for your all reply.

And which amp is that? This site is full of talents that offer (for free) very good amp designs. All amps are cheap. The expensive one is the power supply. You want power, you need to have money ;)

Yes, darlingtons (such as TIP142/147) offer high gain at low voltage, but they sound horrible. TIP41/42 on the other hand is a classics like the 3055/2955, with less possibility for counterfeit issue (fake transistor).

I don't know how you will get your PCB. In my country, 150W OCL is very popular (best selling circuit). If you can get similar PCB, you can build a variety of Baby AKSA and DX amps.

Hi DJ
I should have said of course "using a lower supply voltage". You are right if the power rails stay at +/- 35V but for a bridged amp the transistor dissipation is still an important factor. If we assume that two pairs of 2N3055/MJ2955 per channel are used they will have to dissipate something around 100W for 100W output. I recommend that blindmole uses a bridge running from +/-27..30V using two pairs of 3055/2955 per channel in a bridge configuration. The heatsinks needed would not be so great.
Thanks for the correction, but I did mean 100W into 8 ohms.
John

On looking at the 100w amplifier link it's a basic amp and will do the job, the only draw back is there is no short circuit built in nor is there any bias trim for the o/p transistors and the amp may/will go in to thermal run way with out fan cooling..as any one built this unit and recorded test report? I've seen lots of amps with this design using diode set mmm not really a great fan of it... but hay it's ok for a cheap amp...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.