1000 Watt Sub Amp: Design / Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi Dan,
The photo back in post 286? (see below) is how it's been. I haven't had time to build the stand for it or to even move it from the top of the sub cabinet.
All things in good time.

Attachments

• im001614.jpg
    im001614.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,175
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Restless today, I built the temperate control for the fans (at long last :eek: ).
The amp has been in steady use since I "finished" it. I have driven it hard on occasion, and it has worn this use well - no problems. The hottest I've seen it so far was ~70*C measured near the centre of the sink, down between the fins. That was a rare occasion though.

Here's the fan control:

Picture1092.jpg

I went with Rod Elliot's design using a uA741. The sensor is the trio of 1N4004's. I tested it with a 12 volt adapter and it works well. Now to find the time to install it in the beast.

MJL21193 said:
Restless today, I built the temperate control for the fans (at long last :eek: ).
The amp has been in steady use since I "finished" it. I have driven it hard on occasion, and it has worn this use well - no problems. The hottest I've seen it so far was ~70*C measured near the centre of the sink, down between the fins. That was a rare occasion though.

Here's the fan control:

I went with Rod Elliot's design using a uA741. The sensor is the trio of 1N4004's. I tested it with a 12 volt adapter and it works well. Now to find the time to install it in the beast.

On my amp I always put a diode in series with the power supply to any boards like this in case the amp fails and drags the rail to the opposite rail. This one diode has saved a lot on components when an output stage has blown.

Wonderfull!

I just spent almost all night to read the whole treat with great interest.

My huge compliments for the drive and the spirit to continue and finish it. Kudos for the wonderful case work and the sketchup drawing skills. (I never really can get along with sketchup).

This is of course totally sick but that is why I love the project so much :D

What is your next project? I can't wait to follow that! :D

Enjoy your amp!

With best regards,
Bas

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
nigelwright7557 said:

On my amp...

To date I've not had a failure in any of the amps I've built (knock wood).
The board posted above is just a fan controller that runs off the auxiliary supply.

Sebastiaan said:
Wonderfull!

What is your next project? I can't wait to follow that! :D

Thanks!

I have started a few things since that one and have some long term projects that are close to completion.
An interesting one is my 6 channel amp that has some nice features. It's wrapped up in the Patchwork reloaded threat starting around
here.

Other plans and ideas in the works.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Thanks! :)

A mini update:
The amp has been in constant service ever since. It has never reached the point where the fans cut in and I'm planning a "renovation" later this year to remove these fans, upgrade the softstart and possibly swap the transformer for a higher voltage / higher current unit.
Should be fun. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.