1 NS1000 Mid-level control Misbehaving

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some time I've been hearing the left speaker down in volume. Today I tried to increase the mid-level control and to my amazement and disappointment I noticed that halfway between the 'Normal" and '+3dB' positions the mid-range speaker (and possibly the tweeter too) was cut off. Moving the control further down (or up) music was again coming out of the mid-range (not sure about the tweeter, again). Compared to the other speaker the volume level is still less 'energetic'.

About a year ago I changed all the capacitors and the result was very good, although I now remember I always had a problem with the right speaker. I thought it was due to its position in the room. There is a brick wall to the side and a glass door behind the speaker, but there is a lot of air (space) around it. The other speaker has an L-shaped bookcase on its side and at the back.

Has anybody experienced this type of problem with the mid-level control on the Yams? It seems I have a defective pot. Is there a way of cleaning the contacts - the pot is totally enclosed? Can somebody suggest some ways of going about solving the problem? Although I replaced the capacitors I don't understand much in electronics, so your help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Joe A

Yes, I had the same problem. It's a common problem with the NS1000, the attenuators are not of the same quality as the rest of the components. I replaced mine with equivalent fixed resistor L-pads.

Edit: I don't own the speakers anymore, I can't remember whether the attenuators are sealed, but I never tried contact cleaner on them. As I never fiddled with the attenuators I opted for fixed L-pads just to make sure there were no degraded electrical contacts in the signal path.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.