1" CD at 1600 Hz, or 2" CD at 500 Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Today I cross a B&C DE250 to a SEOS-15 horn at 1600 Hz to a 10 inch woofer.

Though I'm playing with the thought of crossing a Faital HF204 or even a BMS Coax unit to a SEOS-24 horn (or maybe JMLC 400/Iwata 300) at 500 Hz instead.

Filters are digital 48 db/octave.

Is there any noticeable gain here?
What would be the biggest audible differences?

Input is appreciated! :)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As far as I know, the SEOS-15 can operate to 800 or 900 Hz.

With large format drivers, you get that perception of higher dynamics, but the top end is very narrow. I think the sweet spot is a SEOS-18 or 24 with a 1 inch driver crossed at somewhere between 700 Hz to 1000 Hz to a 15" woofer. This should give best balance between directivity, distortion and top-end extension and dispersion.

Agreed.....i think there's a practical limit to directivity as you go lower in freq and the 18" SEOS seems to do a nice job of it. You could cross in a super tweeter in a small guide above 14khz to keep directivity even up tops, but i can't hear much above 16hz anyways which is actually above average for 45 year old males!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.