Crosstalk level of a phono stage

I guess it’s like a good film photo and a good digital recording. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I have some superb classical and jazz recordings that, if you heard them, would be surprised at just how quiet they are, along with great imaging and extended frequency response. The question is, given vinyls manifest failings when up against digital recordings, how the hell does it sound so good?
I am not comparing vinyl to digital necessarily BTW, just listing its known flaws compared to state of the art in any medium. The emotional response to music is pretty much independent of the medium unless it gets in the way of appreciation (pre-echo is a good example of such a flaw, as is an off-centre pressing). And what I said about the ritual is important too, anticipation has a strong biasing effect, expectation is all for subjective experience. If you were presented with that recording ostensibly being played on a record deck, yet the actual sound was secretly from a CD behind the scenes, you'd get the ritual and the extra sound quality and might enjoy it even more - maybe mix in surface noise that gradually fades out so its not immediately obvious at the start. But you might not hear the difference... Only double blind testing can separate subjective bias from your actual physiological hearing performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably because its signal path
i think a large issue was the Loudness War.
Vinyl simply prevented over loudness because the needle had to stay in the groove.

'When I was a lad' we had good music (ignore the disco dross), and dynamics.

With the introduction of the CD, the first few were so appalling in sound (due to the linear 16 bit scale representing logarithmic sound, at 6dB/bit many quiet parts were running at 8 bits or less, at 24bit it doesn't really matter, or a 16bit float would have done well).

CDs therefore had less quantisation distortion with higher levels, which catapulted the Loudness War into the almost total erasure of dynamics. I remember listening to rock tracks where acoustic guitar strings were louder than a snare drum... doh!

With dithering and a more subtle compression curve CDs are at last regaining some small dynamic content ....but at the same time the record industry has moved away from music to 'the woke', where a record store has Zeena's child Taylor Swift occupying an entire shelf... so now the only vinyl worth playing is, again, the stuff made before the invention of the CD.

A few years ago I put on a Sky 3 album on my SR222/2 table with a nice Shure cartridge and literally jumped at the dynamics.

So perhaps some of the reason vinyl sounds better in many cases is because the original signal hasn't been mashed so much by the record industry. How many of our CDs were bough years ago, at the height of the war on dynamics? A shorter path between real musicians and our ears :D

Aside from the audiophile aspects, what would be the minimum and acceptable level of crosstalk for a phono stage?

I'm asking this because I made a phono stage and the crosstalk level at 1 kHz is about -60 dB.
Back to the initial question - acceptable level of crosstalk is provided by two physically separated (i.e. no shared components) channels, preferably with their own power regulators.
After that the rest of the signal path becomes important (also in crosstalk aspect) - ending up with having 4 wires instead of 3 in your headphone cable.

Reactions: 1 user