Crossover mod surprising results

@Petross. Always nice when people get back with the result on a project. Not many do! So thank you.

Here is a summary of Rutcho's popular modification to a two-way B&W 601-S3:

https://rutcho.com/tweaks/01_bw_dm601s3/bw_dm601s3.html

Before:

601-S3 original B&W design.jpg

After:

B&W 601-S3 Upgrade.jpg

Now, that all looks like harmless fun in the tweak department, and worth a try!

HOWEVER.... when you try this with other 6" Kevlar 601 and vaguely similar 7" Kevlar 602 models, it needs a bit of thought.

Crossovers are different, and drivers are updated or modified. And the impedance problem with the 4 ohm tweeter limits what you can do.

But this all looks OK if this is your original 601-S2, and I don't know where you dug it up from:

Alleged Original 601-S2.png

Going to this:

Petross Final 601-S2.png

I just have a doubt that the tweeter coil really is 0.08mH in your 601-S2. Needs measurement IMO.

Otherwise internet confusion will get worse! :(

Best, Steve.

Last edited:
I would think a microphone is a complete waste of time and money unless you know what you are doing with one.

And then you need to master simulators and filters. But don't let me stop you. :p

I can usually hear what is wrong with a speaker and given a schematic I know how to fix it....

THIS is your B&W 602 S3 Speaker. It's nothing like the 601. I did this schematic work myself years back by wading through the manual.

7" Kevlar bass which I assume is 8 ohms nominal, 4 ohm metal tweeter. Looks like there is room on the PCB for R3 and C3, but I'd try and keep C3 physically small like an NPE type.

View attachment 1266594

B&W Support is down at the moment, so I am a bit limited here:

http://bwgroupsupport.com/

Seems this speaker dips to an alarming 3 ohms at the top end but is described as 8 ohms nominal.

I ran a very rough sim to see how it works. The 8.2R is just a modelling device for an 8 ohm tweeter I used here. The dotted lines are with the B&W original filter.

View attachment 1266598

View attachment 1266599

I found the shunt RC doesn't actually do much. The RC tank cuts breakup around 5kHz considerably. Replacing the 0.47R with 2.2 at the tweeter input improves impedance at the top, whilst reducing level 2dB.

I see I used 1.8R in the shunt, not your 1.5R, but that is no matter.

Make of it what you will. It is what it is. But definitely room for improvement IMO. :)

Best, Steve.
Hi Steve

I see many posts around these speakers and 601 and various versions, but they always get hijacked by different model questions so very hard to deduce the solution options for DM602 S3 in particular.

Do you by any chance have the project files for DM602 S3 as pictured here? I am looking to perform the upgrade but would like to simulate changes to my preference.

Thank you