• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Maybe a stupid question but is it possible tu use a tablet as source, through usb via amanero usb to i2s?
Thank you ( and does it work only under windows or also on android?

Probably, but check with your supplier of the USB to I2S interface, the dam1021 itself don't have anything to do with your USB interface or host software....

After many tries I finally managed to update my firmware from v0.99 to v1.19; it seems that the COM port on my motherboard has its own set of ‘standards’. I ended up running wires from the motherboard COM socket directly to the DAM1021 and finally got ExtraPUTTY and Tera Term to recognise the DAM1021.
ExtraPUTTY would not load UManager but TeraTerm did!
However I now appear to have a very annoying ticking noise when playing 192k music files - there were no problems with v0.99. The random ticking noise seems to be predominately right channel.
After updating the firmware I get the following in UManager:-
R1.19
I3
L000
F5
PN
V+000
I3

Any ideas?

Additional info:-

Source is an RPi 3B / Kali reclocker / I2S into DAM1021 Isolated.

Running pCP on the RPi upsampling to 192k via SOX/Squeezelite.

The ticks are not audible on pop/rock (Dion / Son of Skip James sound extremely good) but on piano the ticks are audible and slightly annoying - reminiscent of vinyl!!

Just to repeat this setup using v0.99 has been running for 6 months without incident.

The random ticking noise is something I might need to investigate, but first:

Anybody else seeing the problem with 1.19 and not before upgrading ?

First, you should check your wiring, if they're not perfect then the action of moving things around to do the upgrade could have changed signal quality....

How long time is there between chose ticks ?

Do they follow the dam1021 digital volume down, or do they stay at same level ?

I had intended changing from the Kali reclocker, only goes to 192k, to the latest Kali or Ian’s IsolatorPi board at which point I would shorten the I2S leads from the Raspberry Pi.
So in the short term I will move the boards around and address the wiring - the cables are unscreened and a bit long.

The clicks seem to be the same volume regardless of signal level - it does not sound like clipping. With most pop/rock that I have played the clicks are not so obvious, it is on classical piano and the like where there is more silence that the clicks are more audible.

I cannot detect a definite pattern to the clicks but there on average there is about 5 seconds between them, however two sets can occur within a second.

I will try to get the re-wiring done today and report back.

I had intended changing from the Kali reclocker, only goes to 192k, to the latest Kali or Ian’s IsolatorPi board at which point I would shorten the I2S leads from the Raspberry Pi.
So in the short term I will move the boards around and address the wiring - the cables are unscreened and a bit long.

The clicks seem to be the same volume regardless of signal level - it does not sound like clipping. With most pop/rock that I have played the clicks are not so obvious, it is on classical piano and the like where there is more silence that the clicks are more audible.

I cannot detect a definite pattern to the clicks but there on average there is about 5 seconds between them, however two sets can occur within a second.

I will try to get the re-wiring done today and report back.

You definite need to improve I2S cabling.... Also, the dam1021 already have isolation and reclocking and can handle the jittery RPi signal directly, doing it again externally is unnecessary...

Additional info:-

Source is an RPi 3B / Kali reclocker / I2S into DAM1021 Isolated.

Running pCP on the RPi upsampling to 192k via SOX/Squeezelite.

The ticks are not audible on pop/rock (Dion / Son of Skip James sound extremely good) but on piano the ticks are audible and slightly annoying - reminiscent of vinyl!!

Just to repeat this setup using v0.99 has been running for 6 months without incident.

I have found Dam1021 to appear noisy only when serial console is active to non isolated serial port with USB to serial cable and Audiozen SK.

Do you have the noise with serial connection disconnected?

Curious which soc module is used for i2s to kali on rpi?

Last edited:
Cannot connect to DAM1021 via RS232 any more

After downloading a filter file yesterday, I can not connect via the serial port anymore. The DAC works without flaws. I measured the serial cable, tested with two different computers (each native RS232 port), different baud rates and testet the serial cable ok. Any ideas?

@InHouse: Just make sure that there is really no voltage left when powering down. It happened to me, that after the update I did not wait long enough, and so I got some strange noise. It is not enough to wait until the LED is dark. Try to revert to an older FW version and then flash 1.19 again, always minding a long power down period between.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Seeing same problem as AlanElsdon. Random pops, low enough to sound like static. Went back to Fw 106 and it's ok now.

My setup:

Soekris DAM1021 Rev3
No board mods.
Amanero I2S
I2S wire is thin gauge 4.5 inches long.

If I2S wire is too long, can someone recommend a wire type and length appropriate for I2S connections?

Thanks,

Vince

Go to MOUSER or someone like them and look up HIROSE Ufl cables.

Buy the longest one they have to get the total length you need and you have coax cable suited for the frequency range. Cut this cable into the pieces you require.

Yes, it is delicate stuff. You will have to take your time. But when i I had my SOEKRIS setup it worked very well from the SDTrans to the SOEKRIS board. My length was about the same.

All connections were soldered since neither component has those connectors. I would rather solder than use a connector, anyway.

Usually I try to avoid shielding but in this case I think it is worthwhile.