• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I am interested in this dac. I have questions, probably already answered, but there are 740 pages to read!

I have 4-way active DIY-speakers.

1. Can several boards be synchronized (clocks), to be used in active multi-way speaker? And not getting out of synch after a while?

2. Anyone using the dac as crossover-filter successfully?

3. Can volume-control be controlled toghter for several boards? Can 0dB be set as the max gain? (I do not want positive digital gain by mistake)

4. Examples of builds with multiple boards in the same chassis would be nice to see. Can boards share power-supply?

5. No pops/dc-output on startup or shutdown with recent boards?

6. Link to independent measurements?

7. Pops/clicks on sample rate changes?

8. Is the noise-floor ”state-of-the-art” with this chip? I want low noisefloor.

I will probably have more questions later on. I am tempted to build a 8-channel dac with this chip.

If no answers are given, I can not buy this, off course.

Hi everyone,
Could I ask for everyone's expertise?
I'm trying to connect my raspberry pi2 to the serial dam1021 connection.
I’m using the pi2 as a source for digital audio (I2S) and this works perfect and I would like to use the pi for connecting to the DAC with serial connection. I connected as follows:
Dam1021. ...........Rpi
J10,Pin3 Rxd — pin8 gpio14 tx
J10,Pin5 Txd — pin10 gpio15 rx
J10,Pin9 Gnd — pin39 gnd
I’m using the latest Raspbian Jessie.
I setup serial configuration in raspi-config; enable serial, disable login.
Also /boot/cmdline.txt has no ttyAMA0 mentioned.
Also I setup /boot/config.txt has
Code:
enable_uart=1
Also serial-getty is disabled;
Code:
ps aux | grep tty
doesn't mention ttyAMA0
Code:
sudo systemctl mask [email]serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service[/email]
is executed.
Code:
gpio readall
has UART pins (15 and 16 wPi, pin 8 and 10 physical) in state ALT0
Working with minicom wasn't a success and I read somewhere it it's not always reliable, so I setup the serial port with 'stty' and open serial connection with 'screen';

With stty I setup ttyAMA0 port;
Code:
stty -F /dev/ttyAMA0 115200 -parenb -cstopb -crtscts -ixon -ixoff
(Bautrate, no parity, 1 stopbit, no flowcontrol, no s/w flow XON XOFF)
With stty read back settings;
Code:
stty -F /dev/ttyAMA0 -a
speed 115200 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^H; eof = ^D; eol = ; eol2 = ;
swtch = ; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
flush = ^O; min = 100; time = 2;
-parenb -parodd -cmspar cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany
-imaxbel -iutf8
-opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
-isig -icanon iexten -echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke
A lot of information but every option with a - in front is disabled, without - is enabled.

Check if ttyAMA0 port is being used;
Code:
ps aux | grep ttyAMA0
If necessary kill session;
Code:
sudo kill -9 pidnumber (first number in list)
With next command I start serial connection;
Code:
sudo screen /dev/ttyAMA0
(Only port given, for the rest 'screen' should use the setup from system/stty)
Quit screen with Ctrl-a d

Unfortunately all of the above doesn't work. When I start connecting with ttyAMA0 then whatever I type is not visable in 'screen', so when i type +++ it doesn't do anything.
I could connect Tx (transmit) with Rx (Receive) and test if anything sent to Tx is received at Rx, but I assume i should at least be able to connect to the port.
I probably missing something, does anyone see what?

Hi everyone,
Could I ask for everyone's expertise?
I'm trying to connect my raspberry pi2 to the serial dam1021 connection.
I’m using the pi2 as a source for digital audio (I2S) and this works perfect and I would like to use the pi for connecting to the DAC with serial connection. I connected as follows:
Dam1021. ...........Rpi
J10,Pin3 Rxd — pin8 gpio14 tx
J10,Pin5 Txd — pin10 gpio15 rx
J10,Pin9 Gnd — pin39 gnd
I’m using the latest Raspbian Jessie.
I setup serial configuration in raspi-config; enable serial, disable login.
Also /boot/cmdline.txt has no ttyAMA0 mentioned.
Also I setup /boot/config.txt has
Code:
enable_uart=1
Also serial-getty is disabled;
Code:
ps aux | grep tty
doesn't mention ttyAMA0
Code:
sudo systemctl mask [email]serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service[/email]
is executed.
Code:
gpio readall
has UART pins (15 and 16 wPi, pin 8 and 10 physical) in state ALT0
Working with minicom wasn't a success and I read somewhere it it's not always reliable, so I setup the serial port with 'stty' and open serial connection with 'screen';

With stty I setup ttyAMA0 port;
Code:
stty -F /dev/ttyAMA0 115200 -parenb -cstopb -crtscts -ixon -ixoff
(Bautrate, no parity, 1 stopbit, no flowcontrol, no s/w flow XON XOFF)
With stty read back settings;
Code:
stty -F /dev/ttyAMA0 -a
speed 115200 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^H; eof = ^D; eol = ; eol2 = ;
swtch = ; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
flush = ^O; min = 100; time = 2;
-parenb -parodd -cmspar cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany
-imaxbel -iutf8
-opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
-isig -icanon iexten -echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke
A lot of information but every option with a - in front is disabled, without - is enabled.

Check if ttyAMA0 port is being used;
Code:
ps aux | grep ttyAMA0
If necessary kill session;
Code:
sudo kill -9 pidnumber (first number in list)
With next command I start serial connection;
Code:
sudo screen /dev/ttyAMA0
(Only port given, for the rest 'screen' should use the setup from system/stty)
Quit screen with Ctrl-a d

Unfortunately all of the above doesn't work. When I start connecting with ttyAMA0 then whatever I type is not visable in 'screen', so when i type +++ it doesn't do anything.
I could connect Tx (transmit) with Rx (Receive) and test if anything sent to Tx is received at Rx, but I assume i should at least be able to connect to the port.
I probably missing something, does anyone see what?

wait a minute if this works then i wont need the amanero usb/i2s adapter? i could just use Rpi to do that? i have an Rpi3 that right now has volumio in it. this would be great.

wait a minute if this works then i wont need the amanero usb/i2s adapter? i could just use Rpi to do that? i have an Rpi3 that right now has volumio in it. this would be great.

Theoretically should work. I’ll report back.
However on a RPi3 it’s suppose to be a little bit more difficult because by default the UART interface is being used for the internal Bluetooth device. Are you using Bluetooth?
If not there is a relatively easy way to swap them.

i am not using bluetooth at all and dont plan to

Please read the second solution here:
pi 3 - How do I make serial work on the Raspberry Pi3 - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange
Edit: more in-depth information you'll find here, but that's for the rpi 2, only difference is the way they share the uart device (explained in previous link):
pi 2 - Why my program won't communicate through ttyAMA0 on Raspbian (Jessie)? - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange
Admin: Hope it's okay to post these links here, if not please let me know

Last edited:
Connected to pin 14+16 ISO rx in+ISO tx out on J3.
Used minicom and one sec after +++ I got reply from uManager.
Updated my dam1021 to the latest fw but now don’t get a lock and thus no sound.
I read something about problems with this latest fw 1.19 so I will try fw 1.06 this evening.
Happy I finally solved this and can use my good old pi for this.
Thanks for the help everyone.