• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I think (going from memory) that SDTrans had a separate ground for each I2S lead - I think the DAC board only had one so I connected all of the grounds with a plenum wire and then connected this to the ground point. Or it was the other way around - you get the idea!

There is an iso ground across each of the connections at the board, so it is easy to use the twisted pears in a cat 5 or a cat 6 cable, one as the hot wire and one as the ground.

I have moved the Raspberry Pi to be next to the Isolated I2S inputs and used very short wires (4 - 5 cm) between the boards; the clicks remain.
One thing which I noticed was that the noises seem louder on the SE outputs which go to a preamp / power amp as opposed to the Balanced outputs which go to my Stax headphones.
I am not sure if that is significant or not; I will load firmware 1.06 and recheck noises.

I have been following the excellent write up at Soekris dam 1021 R-2R DAC ILLUSTRATED GUIDE | H i F i D U I N O.

I am using the diyinhk regulated power supply pictured in the blog. As pictured, it’s got two 12VDC outputs, but the diagrams only show hookups for a supply with one 12VDC output. Then again, image searches seem to show both being used.

Do I connect only one of the 12VDC outputs to the Soekris? Or both, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Soeren, when will the dam1021-12 be availible again in Europe?

Also, what is the latency (from S/PDIF input to analog output) using different filters? I couldn't find figures anywhere.

Finally, are you still planning to offer an ADC (as discussed earlier, using a discrete front end and a medical SAR chip) in the foreseeable future?

Thanks!

I am interested in this dac. I have questions, probably already answered, but there are 740 pages to read!

I have 4-way active DIY-speakers.

1. Can several boards be synchronized (clocks), to be used in active multi-way speaker? And not getting out of synch after a while?

2. Anyone using the dac as crossover-filter successfully?

3. Can volume-control be controlled toghter for several boards? Can 0dB be set as the max gain? (I do not want positive digital gain by mistake)

4. Examples of builds with multiple boards in the same chassis would be nice to see. Can boards share power-supply?

5. No pops/dc-output on startup or shutdown with recent boards?

6. Link to independent measurements?

7. Pops/clicks on sample rate changes?

8. Is the noise-floor ”state-of-the-art” with this chip? I want low noisefloor.

I will probably have more questions later on. I am tempted to build a 8-channel dac with this chip.

Last edited: