hypex ncore - Page 497 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2012, 03:18 AM   #4961
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Supra doesn't seem to specify anything about the twisting (typically twists/meter is specified).
Yeah, it's a shame. The Rondo is twisted, the Ply model is screened, but from the cross section it doesn't look like it's twisted, but to me the the Linc is twisted and screened:

Supra Cables

But whatever "short pitch twisting" means is anyone's guess.

I couldn't care less about brand, and have no affiliation with Supra or anything, it's just one of the usual suspects that I found to offer twisted and/or screened speakers cables.

Last edited by tktran303; 22nd August 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:14 AM   #4962
diyAudio Member

Pitch in this context refers to the angle of the twist, as in the pitch of a propeller (expressed in inches - 12 inch pitch meaning the propeller is pulled forward 12" with one revolution). There is supposed to be a pitch appropriate to 50 Hz which is not as short as the pitch to cancel 60Hz, although I don't know the specifics.
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:22 AM   #4963
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
Pitch in this context refers to the angle of the twist, as in the pitch of a propeller (expressed in inches - 12 inch pitch meaning the propeller is pulled forward 12" with one revolution). There is supposed to be a pitch appropriate to 50 Hz which is not as short as the pitch to cancel 60Hz, although I don't know the specifics.
As a general rule, the tighter (shorter) the pitch, the better the noise immunity, but that is a very rough rule. In multi-pair cables, you want each pair to have a different pitch from the others.

Going back to the original question, the only data I seem to have is from ethernet cabling (UTP), and there we are talking about GHz frequencies, so not really relevant to speaker cables - but even there the benefit of shielding is only apparent when several cables have to share the same conduit.
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:53 AM   #4964
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
Bruno has made no mention or recommendation of screened speaker cables, so I wouldn't bother

Surely wouldn't matter for the Hypex, but what about the rest of the system? Having a powerful long wave transmitter antenna close to a phono pre may not be the wisest decision.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:41 AM   #4965
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Surely wouldn't matter for the Hypex, but what about the rest of the system? Having a powerful long wave transmitter antenna close to a phono pre may not be the wisest decision.
I think that the twisting is better protection than shielding even against any possible radiated energy from the speaker leads. Twisting deals with electromagnetic fields, while shielding is for electrostatic fields.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:54 AM   #4966
diyAudio Member

Quite possibly so. My knowledge of hf and antenna effects is not great at all. Has anyone measured the free-running oscillator leak-through to the output? It seems a couple of volts are normal for class D amps. Is Hypex any different?
Old 24th August 2012, 12:01 PM   #4967
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

What & where is the link? This is on the home page from hypex.nl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter.JPG (37.7 KB, 480 views)
Old 24th August 2012, 12:05 PM   #4968
jmbulg is offline jmbulg  Belgium
diyAudio Member

http://www.hypex.nl/index.php?option...id=41&catid=46
Old 24th August 2012, 12:14 PM   #4969
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbulg View Post
So it's DSP filters?
Old 24th August 2012, 12:56 PM   #4970
jmbulg is offline jmbulg  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
So it's DSP filters?
That's what I understood, in the zip file are some executables among which "Hypex Filter Design v2.7.exe" modified on August 8th 2012.

Hide this!Advertise here!