• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

Here's a few pictures of the completed build. I have tested a few sine wave in unbalanced mode, from 10Hz to 120KHz with 1V and everything is clean. Square wave stays pretty sharp until a little over 20KHz but I'm guessing the power supply is probably the issue and using balanced signal it would be better also.

2019-02-11 01.13.11.jpg 2019-02-11 01.13.19.jpg 2019-02-11 01.13.26.jpg 2019-02-11 01.13.36.jpg 2019-02-11 01.13.43.jpg

I also tested with some music on my test speaker (very cheap speaker). This week will be connected to my main system.

All the best!
Do

Reactions: 1 user
Do,

Maybe I should just copy and paste compliments from other posts on your build pics for various projects; would make writing the current post easier. :D

As usual, your latest build looks excellent - really well organized and executed., congratulations! Thank you for sharing the pics, and tell us more about the sound and synergy with your system once you get some listening done.

- Zia

Hi Do,
good job! May I ask why you mounted one of the boards upside down and the other one not? Is it just for optical symmetry?
As far as I know, it is always better in terms of cooling efficiency to have the power devices next to the heatsink's bottom edge?!? I suspect the LM3886's at the left handed board will get hotter at the same load than the other ones.
Best regards!

Hi Kay Pirinha,

It was not done for visual but for keeping cabling distance as much as possible the same length. The position on the heatsink is not that trivial for a Class AB, B, since when the heatsink gets the heat spread after several minutes, they become the same temperature. There's not enough heat being dissipated through this amp with the size of the heatsink and it is spread in a good length on the heatsink. I would do different with a Class A amplifier.

All the best!
Do

Here's a few pictures of the completed build. I have tested a few sine wave in unbalanced mode, from 10Hz to 120KHz with 1V and everything is clean. Square wave stays pretty sharp until a little over 20KHz but I'm guessing the power supply is probably the issue and using balanced signal it would be better also.

View attachment 735566 View attachment 735567 View attachment 735568 View attachment 735569 View attachment 735570

I also tested with some music on my test speaker (very cheap speaker). This week will be connected to my main system.

All the best!
Do

Wow inspirational!!!

Just a quick question... On your next batch of Guardian 686, could you put in the pads to use Mega-fit connectors on the output? I never used these connectors in the past but I'm starting to really like them!

I'm shying away from the MegaFit connectors, actually. They're pretty expensive and often out of stock. I'm considering using JST VH-series instead. They're industry standard. They're not as beefy (10 A per pin) but one can just put multiple pins in parallel. They're nearly always in stock and if not, TE has a product that's a plug-n-play substitute.

Regardless of which connector type I settle on, I can certainly add it to the output of the Guardian boards.

Tom

I would expect the Connex SMPS800RE to provide plenty of power for driving the MOD686 to clipping, at least short term.

The supply is "rated" for "800 W" continuously, "1000 W" peak, and "1150 W" "short term". Now, I use quotes as the power "ratings" are music power. I.e. the supply is "rated" for operation with an 800 W Class D amp running at clipping with music signal having a 10 dB crest factor.
Specifying audio SMPSes in music power is sadly common. I thought we gave up those kinds of specs in the 1970ies, but I guess not.

I put certain terms in quotes as I haven't seen an actual data sheet for this supply. It would be nice to know the test conditions and such. The description available on Connex's website says the power numbers are with fan cooling. It's also mentioned that the supply will shut down once the heat sink reaches 90 ºC, which is nice.

The Modulus-686 draws about 750-800 W from the supply when driving a 4 Ω load to clipping. With a 10 dB crest factor, it should be able to run with music signal at clipping levels continuously if provided with adequate cooling.

In my experience, the Connex supplies will generally supply about 1/3 to 1/2.5 the specified power continuously. I.e. the "300 W" SMPS300RE will supply 100-120 W into a resistive load. It can handle a short-term load higher than that, but the RMS power needs to be within the 1/3 to 1/2.5 of rated power range.

Tom

Last edited:
Fabulous work Do!!
Your layout and attention to the fine details is top notch.
Congrats and ENJOY your newborn:)

Thanks Vunce!

Do,

Let me reiterate what others have said! You lead the pack in diy builds! Pioneering work!

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand!

Funny enough, when you put the lid back on, no one can see anything but it's all in my head I guess! LOL