• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have not been using the volume control aspect of the board.

Just curious, if those that have have you noticed any difference other than level when using a volume control?

Curious if there is an effect on sound quality.

I am using it and the sound is great allways....i would expect that the pot is only used to give the processor reference for the digital volume control and as such not in the signal path...don´t know if this is so but would make sense.

I am using the balanced outputs into my UGS preamp.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Does the DAC i2s interface work with sgtl5000 interface? (Hummingboard)

The question is really more about the hummingbird than the DAM ;)

Can you actually tap I2S from the hummingbird? I had a quick look at the schematic and it seems like the I2S is wired to the header for the MicroSOM processor board, so I'd assume the I2S ports on the sgtl5000 are being used for communication with the CPU. It's definitely not brought out to the GPIO header. Unless you have different and better information?

Last edited:
The question is really more about the hummingbird than the DAM ;)

Can you actually tap I2S from the hummingbird? I had a quick look at the schematic and it seems like the I2S is wired to the header for the MicroSOM processor board, so I'd assume the I2S ports on the sgtl5000 are being used for communication with the CPU. It's definitely not brought out to the GPIO header. Unless you have different and better information?

Good point. I sent an email to solid run, I'll update if it is compatible.

So what are i2s direct options for the DAM? I see that some use rpi, but the software setup looks like quite a task and the hardware seems dubious.
Both totaldac and lampizator use hummingboard/cubox for their streamers so I am guessing it's pretty capable.

I am a newbie to diy but very interested in trying my hands at the dac. Is there a simple guide for dummies that can get folks like me started as well. What would really help would be

a) list of parts (links) need to get started
b) a simple guide that explains how to put them together.

for starters,

a) is it possible to use Raspberry pi 2 as the i2s source, will i need any additional hardware/cable.
b) will this bi-polar 12v supply work <http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/trps3.html>

Disabled Account
Joined 2005

So what are i2s direct options for the DAM? I see that some use rpi, but the software setup looks like quite a task and the hardware seems dubious.
Both totaldac and lampizator use hummingboard/cubox for their streamers so I am guessing it's pretty capable.

TotalDac D1-Server outputs AES/EBU and COAX, not I2S.

Lampizator Transport: A network streamer with tubed SPDIF output stage, powered by a tubed PSU. No I2S output.

So capable of outputting SPDIF. It really doesn't look good for I2S out of the hummingbird.

Last edited:
Hey Rookie! :)

Everyone, all of us had to start at some point, so dive in and have fun.

I would say you'll be able to build a DAC around the DAM very easily, just a couple of points:

a) There's no guide for dummies, but I believe that if you read all related threads carefully, and follow the two blogs that are referenced in this thread, you'll be able assemble a parts list and dive in.
b) Do your reading. When I wandered into this forum some ~6 years ago, I quickly learned that you'll get all the help you need, as long as you're committed to research; doing everything you can to understand. Questions asked that could be answered by anyone with a bit of reading will begin to fall on deaf ears.

Anyway, have fun - it's a fun project.

I am a newbie to diy but very interested in trying my hands at the dac. Is there a simple guide for dummies that can get folks like me started as well. What would really help would be

a) list of parts (links) need to get started
b) a simple guide that explains how to put them together.

for starters,

a) is it possible to use Raspberry pi 2 as the i2s source, will i need any additional hardware/cable.
b) will this bi-polar 12v supply work <http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/trps3.html>

OK, that is the old Squeezebox based version. There is virtually no information about the new Server One that I can find - and certainly nothing that confirms I2S out.

Looks like I was confusing the xmos usb input to the embedded reclocker on the totaldac D-1. No clues how the cubox communicates to the reclocker. Right- Lampizator has almost no info on the new streamer One. The old transport with squeezebox did offer i2s outputs but who knows how that was done!
Anyway- Probably best to stick to i2s over USB and honestly SPDIF coax sounds great too. Plenty of work to be done on filters eh!:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Anyway- Probably best to stick to i2s over USB and honestly SPDIF coax sounds great too. Plenty of work to be done on filters eh!:D

Seems like it.

I've got a suspicion there is a clipping problem with the filters. In my tests everything looks fine with sine wave tests but square waves clipping due to the ringing - even with the default 44.1k filter. NOS filters seem to be OK because the square waves appear to be the NOS forté.

I've posted about the potential issue in the filter brewing thread and hopefully someone can double check on some decent test gear.

While on the topic of i2s output, I was planning to mod an OPPO BDP103 with a Twisted Pear Audio Teleporter Module: Teleporter Digital Transfer Module on both the cd and dac end of the line -- connected with as short a CAT5 cable as possible. Project uses a interface technology as does MSB. Is there any reason/something I'm missing (limitations of the BDP103/limitations of the DAM) as to why this wouldn't work?

In addition, I have no clue how to do this at this point but intend to figure it out once I pickup a BDP103. And suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

While on the topic of i2s output, I was planning to mod an OPPO BDP103 with a Twisted Pear Audio Teleporter Module: Teleporter Digital Transfer Module on both the cd and dac end of the line -- connected with as short a CAT5 cable as possible. Project uses a interface technology as does MSB. Is there any reason/something I'm missing (limitations of the BDP103/limitations of the DAM) as to why this wouldn't work?

In addition, I have no clue how to do this at this point but intend to figure it out once I pickup a BDP103. And suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Mile, the Oppo bpd103 certainly has some great features with Gracenote and NAS support! As for i2s I found this thread: Oppo BDP-103 I2S/DSD - Teleporter - Twisted Pear Audio Support
If you are cool with doing pin surgery on a brand new BDP it may be possible but you would need to put the DAM into the Oppo or something unless the i2s can be tapped VERY close to the teleporter sender.
I would encourage looking at the usb over i2s options. There is tons of support for that as many users here have amanero and Søren uses another USB interface himself. The other technology just isn't well enough developed yet for DIY.
Just my newbie opinion but I have researched plenty of options for i2s transmission. :cheers:

I think using an RPI is very easy and straightforward. Just use Rune Audio or Volumio and you're good to go sw side. And you have a network streamer too, if your music is on a NAS...
Here you can find the hw pinouts for i2s: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/11/12/raspberry-pi-version-b/. You can even get the 3.3v from the pi...

Hi folks.

I 'm following closely most of the threads and discussions related to the Soekris DAC.

It seems that the "filter brewing activity" and the "firmware upgrade activity" are well on its way at addressing this or that small initial weakness.
All what I read about it looks really promising.

I havn't seen any groundbreaking HW modification proposal so far.
Which seems to speak for the high base quality of the board.

However.

The turn-off problem (unbalanced power rail load ?) seems to me a major weakness though. I suppose the issue can hardly be addressed by a SW patch. As far as I read the issue might even cause damage to the speakers.
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I am aware of the work-arounds to increase the load on the negative rail or
to turn down the volume (analog volume of the amp ?) before powering the DAC down or to leave the DAC running 24/7. Hmmh.

To be honest. I do think is a better idea to wait for a Rev2 of the board that covers the issue.
Please let me know if there's another way out. Above is the main issue
why I'm not placing an order.

Cheers

I think using an RPI is very easy and straightforward. Just use Rune Audio or Volumio and you're good to go sw side. And you have a network streamer too, if your music is on a NAS...
Here you can find the hw pinouts for i2s: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/11/12/raspberry-pi-version-b/. You can even get the 3.3v from the pi...

Completely agree. If you use i2s from the Pi then you eliminate any extra interface circuitry - a good thing. For music, the Pi's Achille's heel appears to be its clocking, a little compromised if viewed through the purist's filter. But Soren's DAC reclocks so that issue goes away.

Considering the cost of a Pi it's almost a no-brainer to try it as above. I have tried Rune, Volumio and Voyage MPD on the Pi and, yes, they're not plug-and-play but, as someone said above, this is diy so dive in and try it - it's cheap, you will get help if you make the effort and I suspect you may be shocked (yes, shocked, not surprised) at what the $35 investment and lack of any USB/SPDIF interface can sound like. And there's no agonizing over which USB interface, which cable, which SPDIF transformer or Toslink receiver etc.

If you haven't tried it before it gently opens a whole new world - Linux, possibilities for Arduino, and, perhaps most significantly (for me at least) the lesson learnt not to discount something because it seems ridiculously cheap.

Finally, if you don't pursue it, won't you always have that nagging query in the back of your mind as to whether that 'purer' approach of no USB/SPDIF interface might just have sounded better than what you're using....?