• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

If I try mkrom I get :

mkrom 1021fil2.txt
Soekris Engineering mkrom utility vers 0.85, 20150112
Invalid filename 1021fil2.txt

mkrom 1021fil2
Invalid filename 1021fil2

The file 1021fil2.txt exists in the working direktory which also contains mkrom.
What am I missing? (I am Mac guy, maybe I do somthing stupid DOS-wise:rolleyes:)

As the instruction says: "mkrom 1021filt" - note the file name, it's hardcoded as the utility do other things, all based on the filename....

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
If I try mkrom I get :

mkrom 1021fil2.txt
Invalid filename 1021fil2.txt

mkrom 1021fil2
Invalid filename 1021fil2

The file 1021fil2.txt exists in the working direktory which also contains mkrom.
What am I missing? (I am Mac guy, maybe I do somthing stupid DOS-wise:rolleyes:)

beaten to it by several hours....

you can only use

Code:
mkrom 1021filt

the input file must be named filt1021.txt

As the instruction says: "mkrom 1021filt" - note the file name, it's hardcoded as the utility do other things, all based on the filename....
Thanks, I got it working this way.
I had interpreted the instruction in the form that "1021filt" was only a template for the filename and gave different filter sources different names.

But if the produced .skr is renamed and uploaded to the DAM102, the DAM will recognize this as new filter settings, yes?

For the Mac(UNIX?)-people if you instal Wine, mkrom can be executed by typing in the terminal "wine mkrom 1021filt".

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
But if the produced .skr is renamed and uploaded to the DAM102, the DAM will recognize this as new filter settings, yes?

yes. the name is irrelevant, as the dam1021 only "sees" the uploaded binary data. The .skr files have a header that starts with a soekris ID, file size, and then a string that is consistently the same between filter files and different in the FPGA file. I'd assume this is used by the uManager firmware to determine the function of the uploaded file.

:bawling:
Thanks alot for your information.
In addition to this.
Do you think this can be used?
HiFimeDIY i2s/DSD Isolator 384kHz HDMI to TTL interface

Its got the same receiver that the fidelix type has. And the fidelix hdmi transceiver module has the same tranceiver that the gustard u12 have.

Thanks in advance.
Hi there.
Trying to test with i2s in from this Gustard U12 and hdmi(lvds) to i2s connection.
I actually god "lock" on the signals the soekris dac but no sound. Dead silent

External 3.3v is connected to the isolated i2s side of the dam1021 and to the hdmi-i2s receiver.

EDIT: Well... turning the amplifier ON helps every time..

My goodness... Yes we got sound.. :rolleyes::D

Best regards.

Last edited:
Soren,
for the filter header:
-- Format:
-- signature, samplerate, interpolationrate, type, numbercoefficients, multiplier
it seems that the multiplier is treated as integer, true?
I had a filter with multiplier 0.9 which resulted in no output (multiplier 1 worked, also multipliers 1.1 etc).
If so could it be changed with the firmware update so that the multiplier gets a double. That would ease life ... you would not need to multiply all coefficients.

Soren,
for the filter header:
it seems that the multiplier is treated as integer, true?
I had a filter with multiplier 0.9 which resulted in no output (multiplier 1 worked, also multipliers 1.1 etc).
If so could it be changed with the firmware update so that the multiplier gets a double. That would ease life ... you would not need to multiply all coefficients.

Hmm, looked at the source, it's integer, was float at some point and should really be float so I will update the mkrom utility.

Update: corrected mkrom.exe should now be up at usual place, see post #1486 if needed

Last edited:
from hifiduino

this fellow is answering one of my questions (#1920):

INITIAL POWER MODS

The power on/off POP seems benign if listening through headphones. The power-on pop is not loud at all. The power off pop is loud. If connected directly to an amplifier, it can potentially damage the loud speakers.

During Power off, the positive rail drops faster than the negative rail and this creates a voltage imbalance resulting in a huge POP. At some point, the device is practically powered by the negative rail...

https //hifiduino wordpress com/2015/02/22/dam1021-r-2r-dac-mods/

i'm just a beginner but i wonder if i use a rectification of 3v 0 3v center tap
that gives me 8.10 dc does it cure the voltage imbalance (that seems to be happening when the 7v 0 AC is used)

thanks

Martin

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Mine is running 24/7. No problems. Powered with 7.5vac

Same here. Running 24/7 to avoid dealing with shutdown pops. Power from a 2x7vac transformer.
The DAC runs very cool - I can't detect any warmth to the case beyond ambient even in +30°C conditions.

Someone on another forum even suggested that running the DAC 24/7 might be beneficial to sound quality. :)