• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Tonight I had a chance for a first time to listen DAC through its opamp buffered outputs. Absolutely no go for me. Very different from SE unbuffered outputs. Where sound was soft and warm on SE it was harsh and metallic through buffered outputs. If you did not try SE raw out, you have to give it a try. A great difference. One could buffer that output through passive jFET buffer, but in my case it did not call for it. Straight to amp works fine in my case. For analog volume control I would say passive buffer should be definitely considered. But absolutely not through opamps. This DAC sounds really good and it is crime to loose it with opamps.

I came across this comment: "Can also take an external +/- 7-15V DC supply.". However examining the headers, its unclear where these would need to be connected. Has anybody tried using a DC supply? I'm thinking, if the dac only draws 2.4W a smallish size battery could make this into a portable.

I came across this comment: "Can also take an external +/- 7-15V DC supply.". However examining the headers, its unclear where these would need to be connected. Has anybody tried using a DC supply? I'm thinking, if the dac only draws 2.4W a smallish size battery could make this into a portable.

yea had it running with -8 0 +8 dc from lifepo4
sounded good

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member

You connect the DC to the AC inlet. Yes. Polarity don't matter. +00- or -00+

I run it on 2x12v 7AH batteries.

//

Tonight I had a chance for a first time to listen DAC through its opamp buffered outputs. Absolutely no go for me. Very different from SE unbuffered outputs. Where sound was soft and warm on SE it was harsh and metallic through buffered outputs. If you did not try SE raw out, you have to give it a try. A great difference. One could buffer that output through passive jFET buffer, but in my case it did not call for it. Straight to amp works fine in my case. For analog volume control I would say passive buffer should be definitely considered. But absolutely not through opamps. This DAC sounds really good and it is crime to loose it with opamps.

Thanks for your input.

Did anyone else compare this DAC to any other DAC? I'm still thinking about buying it, but datasheet isn't finished yet, there is a POP problem ... So, I am waiting for some other input about SQ.

Regards

ok, cool, thanks on the heads up on using a battery.

I have two more questions I hope someone can answer.

I see there is a I2S "FSEL in" pin (Selects between 45.1584 MHz and 49.152 MHz) how does this work? Can we make this switch on the I2S MCLK out pin, by going Hi (3.3v)/ Lo (GND)? In which case the BBB Miero driver might become an option.

How does the I2S MCLK out pin "divider" option work?

ok, cool, thanks on the heads up on using a battery.

I have two more questions I hope someone can answer.

I see there is a I2S "FSEL in" pin (Selects between 45.1584 MHz and 49.152 MHz) how does this work? Can we make this switch on the I2S MCLK out pin, by going Hi (3.3v)/ Lo (GND)? In which case the BBB Miero driver might become an option.

How does the I2S MCLK out pin "divider" option work?

I think that is the plan. See post 484.

I compared buffered to Senn Hd580 and raw to fiio amp and Senn hd580 and couldn't discern much. If anything the buffered direct to headphone seemed clearer. (Due to age can't hear pass 16k :) )

My experience as well. I am working on a jfet test board and a 2nd design for tube test board. I did not like the first tube buffer I tried but it was a poor tube choice for this application.
I have used opamp DAC outputs before and liked the results (MHDT Paradisea) but when I A/B the output stages on the DAM it is no contest. Direct is the only way that has the magic in my system!

Thanks for sharing your impressions, AR2.
Are the XLR outs suitable for subwoofer use? What do you think?

I use them for stereo subs and sounds great. That being said, be aware that changing filters seems to change the bass response from the buffered output. Some settings are great for bass (like loudness), some are flat, and some shift the frequency response emphasis up to the 1-5khz range.

Thanks for your input.

Did anyone else compare this DAC to any other DAC? I'm still thinking about buying it, but datasheet isn't finished yet, there is a POP problem ... So, I am waiting for some other input about SQ.

Regards

I have tda1541a (NOS) and pcm63p (*8 OS) all with similar linear AC power. Honestly the DAM is a chameleon depending on the filter choice. The pcm63p doesn't get any play time anymore. The TDA1541 is still in rotation since the NOS filters for the DAM are still being worked out in the filter brewing thread.
The pop problem isn't a big deal if you just leave the dac on or mute your system before turning it off.

dc supply

yea had it running with -8 0 +8 dc from lifepo4
sounded good

do i get this the proper way:

7to15v.jpg

No real limitation, the direct R-2R output is like a voltage source with 625 ohms pure resistor in series, any load will just lower the output voltage as per ohms law....

The 625 ohms is only the impedance comming from the DAC-ladder. The source that feeds it has also an impedance. From the charging C135 data from here
Lets look at some nice pictures ...
I would estimate an 1600 ohms equivalent resistance in series (of an ideal voltage source).

Has that impact on the roll-off frequency of the final analog filter?