• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

VSSA PCB gerbers already prepared. This week I'll visit three PCB+SMD assembly companies and choose the one to produce VSSA.

Two MUR160 transformed to SMD, now ES1D, Vishay, also preinstalled. I'll also try to set faston terminals to be preinstalled

There will be only 6 electrolytic capacitors, two MKT capacitors, two BCs, KSA/KSC and ALF mosfet to solder manually. :yes:

Thanks LC,

That will solve my worry on installing SMD parts!:)

chunek

Is somebody can advice improvements to the circuit, I'm all ears...eyes...
Nice Linear PSU schematic with good care of diodes switching parasitic harmonics. Can be improved (may-be ?) with dumping network at the trasfo coils, and, ('i'm sure of that) just paralelling Zener or voltage regulators to the gate capacitor in order to regulate-it.

L.C, i am just asking myself a question. If we use a regulated SMPS, with HF switching frequency, could we have some benefits to use big film caps (lower µF value, less inductance) instead of lytics for the input stage and VAS DC filters of the VSSA ?

Last edited:
L.C, i am just asking myself a question. If we use a regulated SMPS, with HF switching frequency, could we have some benefits to use big film caps (lower µF value, less inductance) instead of lytics for the input stage and VAS DC filters of the VSSA ?

Now we have 10 Ohm and 1 mF/50 V filtering for the VAS/input stage DC rails, since T=R*C, the filtration is effective from 100 Hz up. If SMPS has 100 kHz we could use let say 1 uF/10 Ohm for the same HF ripple filtration job only. But there's also ripple caused by LF loading currents, so something in between 1 uF to 1 mF is probably correct to choose. My suggestion would be still to use quality 1 mF/50 V electrolytics like Nichicon FG or Panasonic FC or ELNA Silmic, etc. Smaller film capacitors would serve fine for HF decoupling but will not be really effective for filtration and current providing in LF audio spectrum, especially when amp's hardly loaded.

VSSA has already 1 uF multilayer SMDs parallel to all electrolytics at DC rails, as I know well that you don't like that much because of cap resonances, but until now they've proved to be done very good job in the circuit. :yes:

I think you have forgotten the 2xpi bit, surely its from 16Hz up? :confused:

Yes, 16 Hz would be cuttoff frequency where filter attenuates the signal to half its unfiltered power and that is only -3 dB, which is not relevant to be useful in practice at PSU-s. We usually set PSU passive filters to at least -20 dB attenuation to have useful effect in practice. Concretely at 100 Hz this low pass filter (10 Ohm/1 mF) has only -8,6 dB reduction in power. ;)

Merci bien, cher Esperado,

Originally Posted by maxlorenz
Is somebody can advice improvements to the circuit, I'm all ears...eyes...
Esperado wrote:
Nice Linear PSU schematic with good care of diodes switching parasitic harmonics. Can be improved (may-be ?) with dumping network at the trasfo coils, and, ('i'm sure of that) just paralelling Zener or voltage regulators to the gate capacitor in order to regulate-it.

I suppose you speak about secondaries of TX. I didn't think about that option because T1 disconnect C2 from C1 for a significant period of the cycle...can you explain?

I do not use T2 but many C2's or another reg, the PowerReg which is the only one that I know well how to build: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rFQvssoVepboJSN6Uj5819MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Sorry for OT (but not too much OT I hope since we want the best PS for SSAs).

M.

I suppose you speak about secondaries of TX. I didn't think about that option because T1 disconnect C2 from C1 for a significant period of the cycle...can you explain?
As you know, the high energy parasitic oscillations generated by the switch off of the rectifiers find their way across grounds, primary of the trasfo down to AC lines, generates EMI/RFI. The best is to dump them at the source, whatever the precautions you can take after-it (like T1) to filter them before amp's rails.
The boring point is the optimal RC network depends of each particular trasfo and caps and even the way they are mounted, so it is kind a real life blind try, i don't know an easy way to calculate them.

Hello

I drew VSSA and I want to ask, I want to add in Hawksford cascoded VAS. He looked would be a help?

I'm from Slovakia and I do not know English (I learned German) and I use only Google Translator

Hi trunek

This thread's VSSA PCB sch has been locked to a SMD PCB group buy version so very much tested and fixed. PCBs are now in the production phase.

Scaled up VSSA version will be started some day in another thread. :wave:

BTW last Friday we had a test in one shop on KEF R700 and Reference 205/2 speakers and shop owner already ordered stereo VSSA in a flat case. ;)

Attachments

• VSSA Digitalija Test.jpg
    VSSA Digitalija Test.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 885
Is there a definitive list of components in ref to the BOM that have to be purchased separately from those supplied on/with the PCB? I suspect it is here somewhere, but I can't find it, and this thread is too long to browse one post at a time if you were not in on it from the start :confused:

Thanks.

What should be the resistor value for ca. 4-600mA Bias?

Greets:
Tyimo

Hello

After you set up the mentioned bias at first you have to use the two (one each side) trimmer to get read of the offset totally, after full warm up readjust it.
Then take them out and measure the the trimmers value, what you get that would be the precise resister value.
I hope these answer to your question;)
Greets Gabor