• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Hi Russ,

I have BBB-> Hermes -> Chronus -> BIIIse as per the picture.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My clocks are 45/49. Everything is working correctly except for the fact that I have to put the clock divider in 1:1. When switching to 1:2 (or even 1:4) then I don't get lock.

I saw zz1969 had a similar problem:

Yep, I guessed that. I will check. If the divider is dead what is the next step, I wonder? Can it be repaired or the setup needs a new Cronus?

I checked and re-solded just in case J1:2 without success. Do you think the divider could be dead as well?

Thanks

Now, it's time for optimisation ... I'm going to build the power supplies. Is there any requirement for the sequence of the supplies that needs to be applied to the different elements ? for example, BBB first and then Hermes, then Cronus then DAC ? Or maybe, it could be in any order ?
Any recommendation ?

Many thanks for any help !

Sounds like two seperate problems.

If you have access to a scope the best thing would be to check for the presence of the correct clock on the Hermes header for each jumper position.

An update before checking with the scope tomorrow:

I tested switching the jumper to 1:4 and... Bingo! Everything was working perfect with signals from 44.1 Khz to 384Khz. Not sure I express mself clearly in my previous post, but setting the jumper to 1:1 I was getting lock and sound, but everything was way too fast. When switching to 1:2 the signal was not even locking.

I was under the impression that the correct configuration was with 1:2. Did I miss something? Is this correct?

I did some measurements on the 3 jumper positions (J1:1, J1:4 and J1:2) using my old scope:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

J1:1 This measurement is almost in the limit for my 50Mhz scope, but we can see a signal of approximately 50Mhz (each division 0.02 uS for all measurements)

J1:4 Here we can measure approximately 25Mhz, which is surprisingly the half of the frequency from J1:1

J1:2 This one seems totally wrong

How to remove XO trident?

You must always remove the XO trident if you use an external clock. You don't do anything with the XO itself - leave it alone.

For dual mono with B3 or B3SE I would suggestion async mode (just leave Buf configured normally with XO trident) - but if you go synch you need to route the master clock to both DACs.

In any case for dual mono you just route all signals (except MCK if going async) to both DACs.

Can anyone explain this in more detail please? I have a B3. I can't figure how to remove XO trident.

Thanks,
Doug

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can anyone explain this in more detail please? I have a B3. I can't figure how to remove XO trident.

Thanks,
Doug
See the attached picture. Just pull the trident regulator labelled VDD_XO. I've circled it in red.
---Gary

Attachments

• buffalo III layout.jpg
    buffalo III layout.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 611