• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi anybody have exsperience with power supply quality influence on sound from Otto II and SPDIF 4 ?

I have an OTTO II and Teleporter in a modded Denon 3910 that exports I2S/DSD. (OTTO corrects the R and L channel reversal of DSD output as it shares two circuits with PCM). I snagged 5v off one of the existing boards in the Denon, which I presume would be clean power considering the use. It sounds fantastic.

My SPDIF 4 has only been powered by a TP LCDPS set to 4.75 w/multiple outputs connected and no issues with SQ there either.

Attachments

• otto.jpg
    otto.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 504
  • otto_close.jpg
    otto_close.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
I have an OTTO II and Teleporter in a modded Denon 3910 that exports I2S/DSD. (OTTO corrects the R and L channel reversal of DSD output as it shares two circuits with PCM). I snagged 5v off one of the existing boards in the Denon, which I presume would be clean power considering the use. It sounds fantastic.

My SPDIF 4 has only been powered by a TP LCDPS set to 4.75 w/multiple outputs connected and no issues with SQ there either.

Aha I see no ceramic cap on that Otto II ?

I have read that it should be possible to connect one I2S and three SPDIF sources directly to the BIII and using the built in mux to switch between them. Has anyone succeeded with that? The I2S works fine but I can not get the SPDIF to work. Just wanted to check if it should work so that I know if it is worth to spend more time fault tracing.

You need the sidecar and (unless your s/pdif sources are TTL-level already) the 4-channel level converter.

Hi Brian,

I have the level converter and I control the BIII with an arduino running a modified version of hifiduino. I have three SPDIF sources connected to data 6-8 which are not used for I2S and i2s to the clock input and data 1-2. If I set input type to i2s it works. If I set input type to SPDIF and select SPDIF input as data 6 does it matter that I have an i2s source at pins data1-2 and clock? I know that I have read somewhere that it should work but now I can not find it again.

Sorry to go on about this but I really want to make sure my way can not work and, if so, why it will not work. One of the reasons being there is no room for a sidecar in my chassis without moving things around which I want to avoid if possible.

I far as I know it won't work unless you switch out the bit clock of your PCM/DSD source.

The reason is the DAC will always try to detect the bit clock.

That's why there is sidecar. :)

Here is a link proposing a way to do that. I am not sure if this person had actually done this. Could this work with the arduino controller Russ?

Buffalo III “Smart” Stereo Input Configuration H i F i D U I N O

Sorry, please disregard. I just noticed your comments on this linked page

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

I have the level converter and I control the BIII with an arduino running a modified version of hifiduino. I have three SPDIF sources connected to data 6-8 which are not used for I2S and i2s to the clock input and data 1-2. If I set input type to i2s it works. If I set input type to SPDIF and select SPDIF input as data 6 does it matter that I have an i2s source at pins data1-2 and clock? I know that I have read somewhere that it should work but now I can not find it again.

Sorry to go on about this but I really want to make sure my way can not work and, if so, why it will not work. One of the reasons being there is no room for a sidecar in my chassis without moving things around which I want to avoid if possible.

Hi, I was the one that proposed such a wiring configuration and admit that I have not tested it. However, I did an experiment with the BII and was able to switch between I2S and SPDif by switching DATA 1 only. The bit-clock on the bitclock pin was live at all times.

You can try turning off the I2S source (that would shut down all the I2S signals) and switch to spdif...

As Russ said, there is no harm in trying... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.