• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Hello, mhouston

Thank you for the nice comments.

I really like the work you have done with your 300B set-up, using separate Power supply.

I have been running the isolated B- for a while now with the copper bus wire in most all of my builds. Since using the copper buss for B- voltage I have not had any humm issues that are audible.

Next few amps are going to be (3) push pull 6v6 amplifiers for a multi amp system.

One amp for treb, mid, mid-bass, (these are all stereo).

The Bass will be in the works soon, (still working on the active tube crossover control unit to make this all come togather.

I have refinished an old Hammond tone cabinet amp chassis to see if a pair of them would look good side-by-side, and two power units. (These are HUGE) 51 watts clean per chassis

Enough of my rambling on and on...

Cheers from the State of Wisconsin,

Michael (mltube)

mltube: I combine all my grounds and earths together. Sometimes I have to chase down hum othertimes OK.

In the amp pictured above I spent AU$3.5K on parts alone. I was commissioned to build this amp and the owner paid as parts were collected. I'm building myself one it is an extraordinarily good sounding amp. I'm building an absolute clone of it changing nothing.

I usualy wire component-2-component. This means no hook-up wire used in the amp section at all. And definitely no cct. brds. Each component connects to the next with only the connecting leads which come with that component. This is better than point-2-point wiring.

Currently building Super Simple Single Stage (4S) tube preamps. I've built three in as many weeks and about to start a "Universal" 4th. They all run from a 24VAC wall wart and cost about $150 to $250 to build. The first three builds around the 12AU7 the Universal will take all 12Axx tubes. True plug and play.

Attachments

• 4SCaseds.jpg
    4SCaseds.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 4SMkIICompleteS.jpg
    4SMkIICompleteS.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 1,464
  • 4SMKII_Insidess.jpg
    4SMKII_Insidess.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,437
Last edited:
Very professional built.
Congrats. I hope the sound quality is nice like the outlook or even better! For 3G it have to be..

Greetings
thanks!
Way under $3G!
i don't keep track but it around $1200 for both. i've breadboard this amp and i really like the sound very powerful compare to my se kt88, this is only my 3rd build and my first PP the first two were se.

thanks garbor.
im an SE guy. this amp is just to see if i can built something different not something better than my first two, we all know the debate between SE vs PP. im not a pro just a hobbiest so i avoid the debate of whats better, i know enough to know what i like and i enjoy building stuff, im still learning as i go.

Here is my third build of the Super Simple Single Stage tube preamp: 4S The Black. This is based on a 12AU7 Silver Dragon. Much modified values and slightly modified schematic. 24VAC wall wart runs a tranni backwards inside to produce 280VDC. Solen output caps. All component-2-component wiring and DC heaters. No hook-up wire in amp section. Silver solder and Alps blue velvet pot on the output.

The best sounding so far. One more differeent one to make which will support with no modification all 12Axx tubes - true plug and play.

Attachments

• TheBlackColourss.jpg
    TheBlackColourss.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 1,454